Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Blacklist

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Blacklist

I have a bunch of questions, but I think my biggest one is wondering how long Capital One might blacklist me for burning them in my BK7.

My discharge was in April. I just cleaned up my report and apped for Cap1 even though I wasn't getting anything on the prequalifier because every one sas they're so forgiving. Not for me. I didn't get approved for even the secured card. The official reason is too many current or past delinquent accounts with Capital One. (For the record, it was one account for $8k.) According to CK and my TU dispute page, no pulls. I have read this happend sometimes. Any insights on how long it lasts? Is it permanent?

I also burned Discover. I'm wondering what my future rebuilding options will be, in light of this.

I also thought I was being clever and decided to try the Apple shopping cart Barclay's just for the hell of it even though I knew I probably didn't qualify, but I ended up with a TU hard pull. Should that have happened? I don't recall clicking anything to consent to a hard pull. Do I have any recourse?

I did bite the bullet and app Credit One and got a card with a $75 annual fee and a $400 credit limit. I also have a Dell account that accidentally survived my BK (forgot about it) and hasn't been closed. I have looked into it, and it is active.

I am thinking I will just put my $7.99 Netflix on the Credit One card each month. Do I need to utilize it more than that? Also, should I find something not-too-pricey to buy from Dell just to utilize the $6000 credit line there? Should I not mess with the Dell line since I am not supposed to have that account?

I have up-to-date installment lines through my reaffirmed mortgage and as a student loan co-signer. Is this enough credit to work on rebuilding? Should I do one more app? If so, which one? I live in Chicago and am eligible for BCU membership. Should I go for that?

Oh, I also have a BoA checking account with a balance of a few thousand in it. Will this help me get a BoA secured card, or is that out of the question with a recent BK on my record?

I'm not looking for credit to use right now. I just want to improve my scores and maybe open up the possibility of a decent card with basic benefits like travel insurance in the future. I would like to sell this condo and buy a house in 2-3 years if I have the scores to make that viable.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Blacklist

CapOne is easy to get back in the door with... If denied now try again in 3-6 months.  They are very forgiving.

Discover isn't nearly as friendly as CapOne. You can expect to be on their blacklist for a while. I was denied 4 years after filing and approved 5 years after filing... and I DIDN'T burn them.

Regarding the Barclay's Apple and the HP... I'm pretty sure you are stuck with the HP. It states in the fine print as I recall that it's an application for credit... which means HP.  I had that card for 16 months prior to getting Sallie Mae last December.

You need to be patient in your rebuild. That's the #1 thing to having a solid profile. I'm 2 years into my rebuild and am still not where I want to be...

FICO8 current as of : 4-12-24 EQ: 724 TU: 702 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 16
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

It took 13 months post filing for me to qualify for a Capital One card and I burned them for 3 cards.  (All pretty much toy amounts, $300 here, $400 there..)  13 months later, they grant the largest credit card I've ever had.  My first credit card was a capital one card after I turned 18.  I haven't exactly been the best consumer Capital One has had, I have had 4 negative accounts with them total. 

I have learned my lesson though and using credit wisely is the key to success.  Only spend what you can pay back in full the same month or don't use your credit card at all, other then to get one to report a small balance.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

You need to be patient in your rebuild. That's the #1 thing to having a solid profile. I'm 2 years into my rebuild and am still not where I want to be...

I guess that's why I'm asking now if there are things I can do to build a foundation right now since my situation with the installment loans is a little different than teh BK-to-700 guide and also because I burned Capital One and Discover.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I included capital one in my chapter 7 case for a secured card and they granted me 3 cards before discharge (not recommended to do). Not sure what makes them blacklist some and not others.
Message 5 of 16
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I burnt CapOne in my ch7 bankruptcy and they recently approved me for a cc with $5k line 2 yrs post discharge.

Message 6 of 16
danibaby89
Valued Member

I burned them for about $200 and they wont even give me a secured card. I try the prequalifier once a week and I even jumped the gun and applied and received the message that I had too many past obligations. It makes me sad that they wont give me a card but I'm hoping after my year post discharge I can get back in. By the way I was discharged Septmenber 30, 2014. 

BK Chap 7 filed 6/27/14
341 Meeting 7/25/14
Discharged 9/30/14
Starting Score: 496
Current Score: 509 (Equifax)578 (Experian)
Goal Score: 700 ALL

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@danibaby89 wrote:

I burned them for about $200 and they wont even give me a secured card. I try the prequalifier once a week and I even jumped the gun and applied and received the message that I had too many past obligations. It makes me sad that they wont give me a card but I'm hoping after my year post discharge I can get back in. By the way I was discharged Septmenber 30, 2014. 

It seems very random, right? Anyways, I just got approved for a BCU secured card, so I've got my two cards now, and I'm ready to garden. We'll revisit this game in 6 months.

Message 8 of 16
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

I only included three cards for about 2K and am blacklisted 16 months post discharge. No credit pull. Nothing. Just a decline.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 9 of 16
jkjklkjkl
Contributor

I read on here that someone, who had been blacklisted, wrote the EO office to request a card approval. And, after submitting a letter of explanation of past and present credit mistakes/decisions and the EO office review of their current credit file, they were approved.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.