Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Card After Bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Credit Card After Bankruptcy

Hope everyone is having a great start to the weekend. New here and wanted to post this question. I filed chapter 7 and was discharged June 2011. I included a Capital One mastercard. As I am now rebuilding, just sent off a set of letters to the three bureuas to clean up items I learned about on here (thanks for the advice). I started with First Premier and am tempted to try for a capital one card to move away from FP's high annual fees. According to the Cap 1 card finder I am preapproved for the green cash rewards or classic platinum cards, since I included them in my bankruptcy is there really a possibiity of getting a new card? I have to waste the inquiry for a failed attempt. If I can get a cap 1 card again it will be time to hit the garden. Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Card After Bankruptcy

Capital One was gracious enough to give me another card about two months after my discharge.

I included two of their accounts in my BK and one of them had filed a suit in court just before I filed.

Your milage may vary but there are also many other reports on here of people getting their cards post discharge. Good luck!

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 2 of 25
Comet21
Regular Contributor

Your mileage will vary. The Capital One preapproval process is usually pretty accurate. My DW and I were both approved for the Platinum Classic but only she was preapproved for the Cash Rewards and we did not include Capital One in BK even though we had accounts with them previously but had closed them way before we filed.

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 25
hawaii12
New Contributor

Yes I would say all of you are very lucky I was discharge in June and I was denied for a capital one and credit one which I have never had before and have not received any other offers  yet.  So me and my wife just applied for a secured card with our credit union for 550

Message 4 of 25
Comet21
Regular Contributor

Have you tried First Premier?

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 25
hawaii12
New Contributor

I haven't tried first premier cause I listed them in my BK ch7.  I was told by first premier that I will have to wait 3 years to apply with them again. Me and my wife just read up on the apsire builder loan that you have applied for and thinking about applying

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got first premier within two months of discharge and offered a second card six months later. Have to admit other than the fees and high interest rate if you don't pay in full each month hasn't been a bad experience. Since its about time for my annual fee for next year was hoping to start transitioning into something like Cap One but since I included them in my bankruptcy wasn't sure how that would go even if preapproved on their website. Its funny how everyone's story is different but yet so alike in many aspects. See a lot of people file on creditors that give them new cards again soon after and then others never get approved again, Its a crazy gain these companies play. 

What is the apsire building loan? Haven't heard about that one before. 

Message 7 of 25
hawaii12
New Contributor

I recviced this info from comet21 once i read the reviews i will forward the website.

Message 8 of 25
deadbishop
Regular Contributor

maybe its not just after discharge maybe its score after discharge? don't understand why some get it and some don't after BK.
Bankrupcy 7 Filed 2/20/2012
Discharged 6/18/2012
FICO as of 7/6/2012
TU 630 Classic (04)
EQ 641 FACTA Beacon 5.0
EX 607 Fair Isaac (ver. 2)

Message 9 of 25
Freakshow77
Valued Member

Yea same here I was just discharged 2month ago and I figured wth I'll give it a shot!
Cap1 approved me for a CC immediately and within the first month they already reported to my credit.
My score went from 576 to 591 soon as they reported.
Great company plus I even filed on a cap1 card in my bankruptcy
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.