Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One being very BK friendly

tag
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One being very BK friendly

Grassfeeder - That is great! Did you use the credit line increase request feature on the web site to request the increase or did you call/chat and request it? Also, which card was the increase on?

Orioles13 - I just wanted to say that you may never get the pre-qualifier to work and show a pre-approval but it does not mean you will not be approved. I know this for an absolute fact. I have 3 cards with them, my husband has 3, my sister has 3, several friends and family members have at least 1 or 2 and NONE of us ever got a pre-approval when using their pre-qualifier. We just applied for the suggested card at the top and were all approved. They are really good for approving people who are fresh out of BK. I was 3 weeks past my discharge when I got my first card with them and they were IIB as well as HSBC X 4 cards! Same thing with my husband and sister. Your scores are much higher than mine were when I first got approved. My scores were in the high 500's, so you are in much better shape in that department. I have a friend who worked for their call center and she told me they have a special program in place for people who have been recently discharged from BK, it is called "Credit Steps" and they are very forgiving in my experience with them. I would defintely suggest you give them a shot, The sooner you get started rebuilding, the sooner you will rebuild. I would bet the farm that you will be approved! They have been the foundation of my rebuild and since my chapter 7 discharged 18 months ago, I have managed to accumulate 3 cards with them and my limits are now $6300, $5750, and $10,000! That is almost unheard of for less than 2 years out of BK and the starting limit on my first 2 cards were $300 and $500, so they have been amazing. If I had waited until the pre-qualifier gave me a pre-approval, I would probably still be waiting. :-) Sometimes you just have to take a chance. Of course it is easy for me to say all this because I am not you, lol, but I really hope you give them a shot. I really believe you will be approved and they are being extremely generous and gracious right now. I look at it like this......get it while the getting is good. :-)

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 111 of 278
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

@Divaofsongs wrote:

Grassfeeder - That is great! Did you use the credit line increase request feature on the web site to request the increase or did you call/chat and request it? Also, which card was the increase on?

This was for the Venture card.  I just got done spending $4000 within the first two billing cycles and paying it all off in full each month to get my bonus miles.  I requested the CLI online knowing full well it wasn't going to give me anything instant so I called in and spoke to them about providing an increase from $5k to $10k as I wanted to use it as my primary for my business and with a $5k it wouldn't even allow me to book international travel and hotel with that limit.  I asked for the $10k to be modest and make it more useable and they submitted it to underwritting and I checked my account today and it was listed as my new limit.  Took about two days but I'll take it.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 112 of 278
paula629
Contributor

Well....IjustgotdeniedforCapitalOne, Quick Silver and Venture cards Smiley Frustrated  i did burn 2 of their card in my BK, but i thought they would be forgiving by now.  NO LUCK! they are mailing me a letter....the last one i received, said something to the effect of "past cards not paid"  I will keep paying off NFCU until i can apply with them in July.  I think i am over Capital one

4/2015 EQ: 602 TU:611 EXP:617

01/21/2021: EQ FICO 636 TU FICO 688 EX FICO 683 br>Goal:850
AMEX Delta Platinum $1k| Macys AMEX $1k| CARE CREDIT $6,600| NFCU AMEX $13.5k|NFCU Platinum $8k|DISCOVER $6k| NFCU LOC $13k| NORDSTROM $2200| Neiman Marcus $3k| PENFED CashRewards $10k| Value City Furniture $7,500k| LOWES $17k| Target $200|VW lease $13k| LFCU Pool loan $77k| NFCU auto $25k|BMW Auto $73k|Student loans $42k
*Entering garden May 2021*

Utilization: 47%
Message 113 of 278
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@paula629 wrote:

Well....IjustgotdeniedforCapitalOne, Quick Silver and Venture cards Smiley Frustrated  i did burn 2 of their card in my BK, but i thought they would be forgiving by now.  NO LUCK! they are mailing me a letter....the last one i received, said something to the effect of "past cards not paid"  I will keep paying off NFCU until i can apply with them in July.  I think i am over Capital one

4/2015 EQ: 602 TU:611 EXP:617

Don't give up on Capital One, they like to see at least 6 mos positive payment history after BK. But don't waste any more inquiries on your credit report, use their pre-qualifier:

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/

If it comes back with a specifice card for you with a specific interest rate your chances are excellent you will be approved when you apply. They were one of my biggest creditors in my BK7 with several cards, but they approved me for a Quicksilver card w/$10k CL last fall. Yeah, that was nearly 4 years post BK and over 3 years positive payment history on other cards. But I probably would have been approved much sooner, I didn't realize how BK forgiving they are until I started hanging out here.

Message 114 of 278
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you apply for the qs or the qs1? The qs is for better credit. They gave me the qs1 about 3 months post discharge.
Message 115 of 278
paula629
Contributor

iappliedfortheQuickSilver.IwilltryagaininJune, maybe....

01/21/2021: EQ FICO 636 TU FICO 688 EX FICO 683 br>Goal:850
AMEX Delta Platinum $1k| Macys AMEX $1k| CARE CREDIT $6,600| NFCU AMEX $13.5k|NFCU Platinum $8k|DISCOVER $6k| NFCU LOC $13k| NORDSTROM $2200| Neiman Marcus $3k| PENFED CashRewards $10k| Value City Furniture $7,500k| LOWES $17k| Target $200|VW lease $13k| LFCU Pool loan $77k| NFCU auto $25k|BMW Auto $73k|Student loans $42k
*Entering garden May 2021*

Utilization: 47%
Message 116 of 278
Scupra
Super Contributor

@paula629 wrote:

iappliedfortheQuickSilver.IwilltryagaininJune, maybe....

can we add some spacing? haha, this hurts my eyes to read Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 117 of 278
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 118 of 278
Anonymous
Not applicable

My discharge was Monday, and I burned Capital One for like $6k. Any reason to apply just to see what happens? Does it matter that I never missed a payment until I filed?
Message 119 of 278
Anonymous
Not applicable

See if you're pre-qualified for anything on their website. I only burned them for about 1k, I got their secured right after discharge and unsecured qs1a couple months later. From what I've read there's no rhyme or reason to who they approve and who they decline.
Message 120 of 278
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.