Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One being very BK friendly

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One being very BK friendly

@HopeMission wrote:

My question is how should I go about applying?  Should I peruse one of the expired pre-quals to keep from getting 3 more hard hits? Can I just call and tell them my goals?  The only balance I have is on my 3K Fry's store card of about $425.  Should I be paying that down to about 30 bucks before applying?  Does it matter?

A lit nervous, anxious, hopeful and exited. Thank you all for your help!

If they were sending you invite letters w/code then they're likely ready to approve you for a card. Use their pre-qual site to make sure:

https://findmycard.capitalone.com/en/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_UNS_QUICK_RWD_V01.aspx

If they recommend a card for you with a specific interest rate (such as 16.9%, not a range like 12.9-22.9%) then you'll very likely to be approved.

@I was getting invites w/code to app for the Spark business card (which reports on your personal CR). I was tempted, but to get the $500 bonus for charging $4500 in 3 months I would have had to carry a large balance for several months @ at least 16.9% to spend that much. I app'd instead for the Spark Select which has a $200 bonus for charging $3k, but has an 8 month 0% intro rate. I was approved w/$5k CL.

Message 231 of 278
HopeMission
Regular Contributor

Yes, I was getting pre-quals until about a month ago. They were all for 0% then 22.9 after 12/mo. From the time I was discharged and started getting pre/quals my FICO’s haven’t gone up that much. I got a Cap1 Spark business offer for my business several weeks ago. Do you think I should try that as my 3rd card?

I have only one low balance ($425.). Should I pay that down to about 20 bucks before applying? Will that make any difference? I the Platnium just as good as any other card as far as future CLI’s and pumping up my scores?

Hopeful and exited. Thank you all for your help!

Ex 673 | Eq 665 | 665 TU (10-9-18)
Filed BK7: 11/2014 (start score TU 749) Discharge 4/2015 578 TU

$11,500 Cap1 Spark | $7,000 Cap1 QS | $5,500 Barclay | $500 Secured card w/ Western Fed CU | $3,000 Un-Secured Fry’s First Electronic Bank | Macy's 3,500 | Disc 11,500 | $100 Un-Secured Share Loan | all Util under 3%
Message 232 of 278
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Hello HopeMission, I wanted to just comment and give my opinion..........if they were sending you pre-quals in the mail, you are likely already pre-approved in their system and you don't really need to worry about having an offer code. I would just go on and use their site pre-qual link and see if that produces a pre-qualified card, however, even if you don't get a positive hit on that, still apply for the card they suggest at the top. I cannot guarantee anything, but I would bet the farm that you will be approved. As far as the $425 balance, that will not really affect you and it actually helps your score when you have one card with a balance, as long as it is not too high of a percentage.

Bottom line, GO FOR IT! I get it, you are nervous and don't want to be rejected, but the longer you sit and wonder, the longer it will be before you can get those credit lines open to start helping you! :-) If they were sending you pre-approvals, you are good to go, provided you have not had any negative events on your credit since then. After a while, if you don't respond, they stop sending the offers, you are still approved in their system though. Just go for it and let us know. Smiley Happy Push.....push......push.....lol

Also, Cap One is wonderful with CLI's. If you read my posts, you will see that I, my husband and sister, have had a CLI every 6 months since we opened the cards in Sept. of 2013 and they have been really nice increases, too. The first one is auto and then every 6 months after that, you can request a CLI online with a SP. Just make sure you wait until 6 statements have cut since your last CLI before requesting another. I literally request my CLI's one day after the statement cuts, I am impatient. lol

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 233 of 278
HopeMission
Regular Contributor

Yea! Smiley Very HappyI went ahead and pulled the big lever and was approved for a QS for 5K. J I did everything I could to avoid any HP’s but wasn’t able to find a way to use any of my old mailed PreQuals. On the Cap1 site I read that doing their online PreQual wouldn’t hurt my credit…. so I pulled their first lil lever and was pre-qualed for QS and Venture.   Smiley HappyI went ahead and pulled the big lever on the QS since it was on top and won a $5,000 CL. lol Smiley Very Happy

While in an online chat with a Cap1 rep, she said they don’t like people to apply for 2 cards at the same time. Terms and conditions will come in the mail and tell me how long I have to wait to try and get the “Venture”

The rep was unclear as to whether or not they would need to do another hard pull to get this other card I was pre-qualed for (I hope not Smiley Sad)

My Question: I’m not planning on having my credit run for any big buys for at least another 2 years. If I’m just planning on going back to the garden for a while, would a hard triple pull really make any difference? Do those lost point from the HP every automaticly come back over time?

Last but not least… Ive reached the 6 month post discharge mark. Based on my creidit mix below and after getting this QS and Venture card?? Or should I pack it up and head back to the garden or add an extra store card etc to my mix? I received another letter from Barclay today. I never applied.   I don’t think it’s a pre-qual. Just says “You’re preselected” and has a personal ID code.

Thank you Diva all for your encouragement and everybody for the info.  Heart

PS: I wish I could add the card logo beneath my settings. I have followed the MyFico steps on how to add a “macros” but don’t see any drop down menu where I can find the codes to paste to show each card I have now. Am I missing something?  Smiley Surprised

$11,500 Cap1 Spark | $7,000 Cap1 QS | $5,500 Barclay | $500 Secured card w/ Western Fed CU | $3,000 Un-Secured Fry’s First Electronic Bank | Macy's 3,500 | Disc 11,500 | $100 Un-Secured Share Loan | all Util under 3%
Message 234 of 278
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 235 of 278
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

HopeMission - The Cap One HP is good for 30 days for another app. Just keep checking the pre-qual, but I doubt they'll pre-qual you for Venture so soon after approving QS - they want to see some spend & payment history on it. The pre-qual was always pushing the Venture for me but I didn't want it, I don't travel much (been there, done that). A few weeks after getting my Spark Select I checked the pre-qual and they had nothing for me, no suprise to me.

Message 236 of 278
Scupra
Super Contributor

Congrats on the Cap1 approval!! Cap1 is pretty known for approving two back to back apps Smiley Happy CSR's don't always have the best info. If you plan to garden for two years then the HP's mean nothing to you, I would say you have a very good chance at a Venture card!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 237 of 278
HopeMission
Regular Contributor

Thank you Scupra-  Do the lost points from that HP come back eventually automatically? Or are you saying this is just the best time to do the HP’s and wait for good habits to raise the scores?

Thank you DaveinAZ I will definitely apply for another Cap1 card within the next 30 days. Probably in about 25 days after I can show a lil bit of activity and paying back. I am ONLY getting these cards to get my FICO’s back up. Rewards, miles etc don’t really interest me. I can’t decide between applying for the (pre-aproved) “Venture” or the (not approved yet) Spark card for my business. I noticed that Dave (With 700 Ficos) hasn’t been able to get a prequal on the Spark. Is it hard to get?

I think it just comes down to what card offers the greatest opportunity for CLI’s, raising scores and last but not least- getting qualified. Any thoughts for someone that is just being FICO minded?

Received another letter from Barclay today. I never applied.   I don’t think it’s a pre-qual. Just says “You’re preselected” and has a personal ID code. With a QS and possibly the pre-qualled Venture, would it be smart to wait on this Barclay offer?

Lasty-- anybody know how to add the “macros” of cards to put at the bottom of my signature. I can’t find the drop down menu of codes I can paste in my “macros”

Thank you for your help! Smiley Happy

Message 238 of 278
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

HopeMission - I got my Barclays Rewards MC a little over 1 yr post discharge with a mailed preselected offer w/code. Barclays doesn't like new accounts, and that Quicksilver new account won't report until the statement. Barclays reports new accounts within a few days of approval. Cap One isn't so touchy about new accounts, but I'd suggest you app for the Barclays just before you try for Venture. And I wouldn't be so dismissive of rewards & spend bonuses - I've racked in over $1k in the past year with new CC spend bonuses, CC rewards, and new bank account bonuses, not a bad haul.  Discover bank gives you a $50 new account bonus, and may help pave the way for a Discover card approval down the road.

Message 239 of 278
hpotterfan77
Regular Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

HopeMission - I got my Barclays Rewards MC a little over 1 yr post discharge with a mailed preselected offer w/code. Barclays doesn't like new accounts, and that Quicksilver new account won't report until the statement. Barclays reports new accounts within a few days of approval. Cap One isn't so touchy about new accounts, but I'd suggest you app for the Barclays just before you try for Venture. And I wouldn't be so dismissive of rewards & spend bonuses - I've racked in over $1k in the past year with new CC spend bonuses, CC rewards, and new bank account bonuses, not a bad haul.  Discover bank gives you a $50 new account bonus, and may help pave the way for a Discover card approval down the road.

TThat $50.00 promotion ended 9/15/15.  They have a new promotion going on for their checking now.
Starting Scores (9/19): EQ - 474/TU - 528/EX - 502
Current Scores (09/22): EQ - 617- TU - 638/EX - 647
Comenity M/C - $6730.00, BJs Perks MC - $2800.00, Credit One - $1200.00, Credit One - $800.00, NFCU -$6300.00, Care Credit - $5000.00, William Sonoma - $3500.00, Overstock - $4100.00, Pottery Barn - $2000.00>
Message 240 of 278
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.