Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One being very BK friendly

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One being very BK friendly

Its good to see there are being BK friendly.  Hopefully they will show me some love soon.  Unfortunatly I had a large account with HSBC that was included in my BK7 so I am not sure how that will affect me with Capital One.

Message 61 of 278
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Its good to see there are being BK friendly.  Hopefully they will show me some love soon.  Unfortunatly I had a large account with HSBC that was included in my BK7 so I am not sure how that will affect me with Capital One.

How does the HSBC IIB account show up on your CR, as an HSBC account or Cap One? And you can always try the Cap One SP pre-approval.

It worked out the opposite for me, I included a couple Cap One cards in my BK7. But my first post discharge card was a secured card from Orchard Bank that Cap One bought. Then my first non-secured card was a Best Buy Mastercard from HSBC, and Cap One bought that (and Citi bought it a year later). So with 2 positive post discharge TLs from Cap One, they think I'm a sure bet - approved me for QS Sig Visa w/$10k CL and 12.9% last Oct. I tried their pre-approval earlier this week and they pre-approved me for a Venture card at 16.9%, but I'm not gonna app for anything until my mortgage is all done & settled. 

Message 62 of 278
Deltadog03
Established Contributor

agreed...try there pre-qual site.  its a SP and from what they said.....its pretty much a good to go for an approval....NOT saying its always going to be like that...but I would guess its a pretty good shot anyway.

EQ8: 646 EQ5: 652 V3.0: 665 **8/2015
TU8: 635 TU4: 700 V3.0 :663 **8/2015
EX8: 636 EX3: 670 V3.0: ? **8/2015
CCD Util 35%

Message 63 of 278
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How does the HSBC IIB account show up on your CR, as an HSBC account or Cap One? And you can always try the Cap One SP pre-approval.

It worked out the opposite for me, I included a couple Cap One cards in my BK7. But my first post discharge card was a secured card from Orchard Bank that Cap One bought. Then my first non-secured card was a Best Buy Mastercard from HSBC, and Cap One bought that (and Citi bought it a year later). So with 2 positive post discharge TLs from Cap One, they think I'm a sure bet - approved me for QS Sig Visa w/$10k CL and 12.9% last Oct. I tried their pre-approval earlier this week and they pre-approved me for a Venture card at 16.9%, but I'm not gonna app for anything until my mortgage is all done & settled. 

Its listed as HSBC from 2007

Message 64 of 278
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Deltadog03 wrote:

agreed...try there pre-qual site.  its a SP and from what they said.....its pretty much a good to go for an approval....NOT saying its always going to be like that...but I would guess its a pretty good shot anyway.

Thanks I try it off and on but no luck yet.

Message 65 of 278
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Although I did not personally have a Cap One account before bk, I did have HSBC cards and my hubby had Cap One and 4 HSBC accounts that were IIB and we were both approved for 2 unsecured Platinum MC's just a few weeks post bk discharge. The pre-qualifier never worked for us, so we just chose the cards they "recommended" and was instantly approved online when we applied. We are currently just over 18 months post bk discharge and we both have 3 cards each with Cap One and our CL's are $5000+ on the first 2 cards we opened right after the bk discharged and $10,000 on the Venture card, which we were both just approved for last week.

Cap One is super BK friendly. If you are waiting for the pre-approval link to work, it may never happen, but it does not mean you will not be approved if you apply. The same thing happened to my sister. She kept waiting for the pre-qualifiying link to say she was pre-approved but it never did, so she just went ahead and applied and was approved for 2 Platinum MC's instantly. 

When we click on the "link cards together" link on the Cap One account portal, my husband's old Visa that was IIB is still showing but says the account cannot be linked and is grayed out. 

The HSBC cards are showing as HSBC on our credit reports but they were closed and in default before Cap One took over their accounts so I am not sure if that makes a difference or not. 

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 66 of 278
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Divaofsongs wrote:

Although I did not personally have a Cap One account before bk, I did have HSBC cards and my hubby had Cap One and 4 HSBC accounts that were IIB and we were both approved for 2 unsecured Platinum MC's just a few weeks post bk discharge. The pre-qualifier never worked for us, so we just chose the cards they "recommended" and was instantly approved online when we applied. We are currently just over 18 months post bk discharge and we both have 3 cards each with Cap One and our CL's are $5000+ on the first 2 cards we opened right after the bk discharged and $10,000 on the Venture card, which we were both just approved for last week.

Cap One is super BK friendly. If you are waiting for the pre-approval link to work, it may never happen, but it does not mean you will not be approved if you apply. The same thing happened to my sister. She kept waiting for the pre-qualifiying link to say she was pre-approved but it never did, so she just went ahead and applied and was approved for 2 Platinum MC's instantly. 

When we click on the "link cards together" link on the Cap One account portal, my husband's old Visa that was IIB is still showing but says the account cannot be linked and is grayed out. 

The HSBC cards are showing as HSBC on our credit reports but they were closed and in default before Cap One took over their accounts so I am not sure if that makes a difference or not. 

Thank you for that input.  That definitly gives me optimism for capital one.  I only had HSBC.  I used to have Capital One but I closed them years before my BK7 and was never late on them and paid them off in full.  

Message 67 of 278
Deltadog03
Established Contributor

I may have missed it, but do you have any open revolving cards/TL now?  Your scores are prolly good enough for the Venture...  **potentially**  They MAY want to see more time past from DC...BUT you should get approved at least for a subrpime card..IMHO

EQ8: 646 EQ5: 652 V3.0: 665 **8/2015
TU8: 635 TU4: 700 V3.0 :663 **8/2015
EX8: 636 EX3: 670 V3.0: ? **8/2015
CCD Util 35%

Message 68 of 278
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Deltadog03 wrote:

I may have missed it, but do you have any open revolving cards/TL now?  Your scores are prolly good enough for the Venture...  **potentially**  They MAY want to see more time past from DC...BUT you should get approved at least for a subrpime card..IMHO

Yes I have one card and should be opening a credit builder loan in the next week with my credit union.

Message 69 of 278
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 70 of 278
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.