Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One pre-qualified

tag
Insoc
New Contributor

Re: Capital One pre-qualified

@0REDSOX7 wrote:
Capital One is odd. Can't figure them out at all.

Neither can I, they blacklisted me though some say they don't.  I tried to get a secured card and a unsecured card with no luck, around 6 months after discharge.

I gave up, even though the prequalifer site say's I am good to go.  I do not need anymore hard pulls to find out they changed their mind.

Message 21 of 35
mrsjr
Regular Contributor

I burned Capital One in my bk, but was able to get a Journey card with them about a year post discharge.  They later converted that card to a Quicksilver visa.  Then, I checked the prequalified site,and it said that I was prequalified for their top cards.  I applied for the VentureOne and Platimun Prestige and was shockingly approved!  So, I would say that the prequalification site is quite accurate.

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 739 TU
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 35
Scupra
Super Contributor

Cap1 prequal site is definitely one of the better ones.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 23 of 35
yoyo
Established Contributor

Hello, In December CapOne started to garnish my check and froze my checking account.  My BK was discharged in 6/2014.  I went on their site a few times...always declined. Last weekend I got the instant pre-approval...went through three times to make sure I was seeing the " Congradulations"....approved for quick silver $300 limit and another card for $500.  I guess it took a min before the BK showed up on my credit report.  Trust me...I still did not beleive it until the card showed up in the mail.

My TransUnion now is 499, EQ 510..will wait to see if my score will go up due to the new cards....
I've file BK in 2003 and the cards I used to build my credit then are no longer around.  ..went to 350 Credit score to 679 took 2.5 years...
Hoping to work hard to build up my score..

Hope this helps..

Message 24 of 35
bunga7
Regular Contributor

@mrsjr wrote:

I burned Capital One in my bk, but was able to get a Journey card with them about a year post discharge.  They later converted that card to a Quicksilver visa.  Then, I checked the prequalified site,and it said that I was prequalified for their top cards.  I applied for the VentureOne and Platimun Prestige and was shockingly approved!  So, I would say that the prequalification site is quite accurate.

Well, they prequalified me, twice, and then turned me down when I applied. So, I'm not too impressed. That's fine though. I'm 1-yr post BK7 discharge today! There will be other CC's soon.

Starting Score 12/2013: 547 EQ; 529 EX; 540 TU
Current Score: 3/8/16 711 EQ Fico; 710 EX (CU hard pull); 701 TU Fico
Goal Score: 700

Message 25 of 35
Insoc
New Contributor

@bunga7 wrote:

Well, they said I was pre-qualified and then turned me down, so I'm not too impressed.

@mrsjr wrote:

Exactly the reason why I am hesistent to apply, just because they say I'm prequalifed for two CC's, doesn't mean they will deliver and there goes another Hardpull that I'll have to wait 2 years to drop.  I don't know if it's worth the risk at this point, I may wait till 2015 then try?  I still feel Capital One is blacklisting me, I got no offers in the mail from them yet which further reinforces my beliefs.

Your scores are much higher than mine currently on top of it.

Message 26 of 35
bunga7
Regular Contributor

@Insoc wrote:

@bunga7 wrote:

Well, they said I was pre-qualified and then turned me down, so I'm not too impressed.

@mrsjr wrote:

Exactly the reason why I am hesistent to apply, just because they say I'm prequalifed for two CC's, doesn't mean they will deliver and there goes another Hardpull that I'll have to wait 2 years to drop.  I don't know if it's worth the risk at this point, I may wait till 2015 then try?  I still feel Capital One is blacklisting me, I got no offers in the mail from them yet which further reinforces my beliefs.

I wouldn't discourage you, I think I'm an abberration, although others can't sem to get one either. I think they've blackballed me because they keep saying my score is 626, the same as the other two times I tried...3 mos, 6 mos, and 10 mos post discharge. I KNOW my score has changed.

Starting Score 12/2013: 547 EQ; 529 EX; 540 TU
Current Score: 3/8/16 711 EQ Fico; 710 EX (CU hard pull); 701 TU Fico
Goal Score: 700

Message 27 of 35
Insoc
New Contributor

@bunga7 wrote:

@Insoc wrote:

@bunga7 wrote:

@mrsjr wrote:

I wouldn't discourage you, I think I'm an abberration, although others can't sem to get one either. I think they've blackballed me because they keep saying my score is 626, the same as the other two times I tried...3 mos, 6 mos, and 10 mos post discharge. I KNOW my score has changed.

When I tried the Capital One Secured CC (Way too soon after Discharge) I got the same letter and it said the same exact thing and score, I think it's a form letter they use.  Others told me I'm nuts in thinking they blacklist, but my experience is telling me otherwise, I only had one card with Capital One and the balance was under $3K and it was transferred to them from Chase as it was a Sony Card.

Message 28 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just discharged today.....applied and was approved for 2 different Capital One cards both $500 each unsecured.  I burned several Cap 1/HSBC accounts in BK and discharge was this morning so there really is no telling

Message 29 of 35
Pway
Valued Contributor

I can say that they are a weird lender.  I applied fresh out of bankrutpcy September 2014 and denied.  I then joined my credit union and opened a secured card there.  I had a couple of trade lines reporting and January 2015, went to their site and did the pre qualifier and came back you have been pre apporved for the Platinum and Quick Silver 1.  I applied for them both a week apart and I was approved for them both.  Give it some time.

Currently in the Garden 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.