Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capitol One, only 2 cards allowed?

tag
egold1234
Contributor

Capitol One, only 2 cards allowed?

Discharged 12/14. I have a Cap 1 partially secured card with a CL of $500. A QS1 with a CL of $500 and just approved for a Barclay Apple for $1300. I apped for another QS1 and was denied because of "too many accounts with capital one".

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capitol One, only 2 cards allowed?

Yes they only allow you two of heir lower tier cards.  Once you get up to the QS (not the QS1) and the Venture level, I've read you can get up to 5 of those.  YMMV

@egold1234 wrote:

Discharged 12/14. I have a Cap 1 partially secured card with a CL of $500. A QS1 with a CL of $500 and just approved for a Barclay Apple for $1300. I apped for another QS1 and was denied because of "too many accounts with capital one".

Any ideas?

Message 2 of 9
Pway
Valued Contributor

Yes within their main credit cards they only allow two in that category.  Although their co-branded cards you can have those.  I have Platinum MC, QS1, and Sony rewards.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 9
egold1234
Contributor

I applied for a QS and was approved with a 3000 CL! I've only had my QS1 for 4 months. I'm very excited! 

Message 4 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

the limit is 5 cards within their core group, not counting store backed. I have 5 major cards with them, plus a store card (Neiman Marcus), so 6.
Message 5 of 9
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

The limit is atleast 5.  I have been told 5.  

I have 5.  I just closed my $1k Sony, waited 30 days and got a QuickSilver Signature $10k.  

They have a weird system, that is for sure.  

Hang in there...it gets better.  Much better.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 9
DaUsMsB
Contributor

Interesting, i've been gardening hard with their 2 cards mainly.  On my quick silver i started at 3k, 4 months in I asked for more because I saw myself getting close to the limit even though I was paying weekly and most of the times multiple times a week.  They increased me to 9k when I asked...then after 5 on time payments another 500 dollar bump to $9500.

Hearing this news I almost want to try for a venture card with higher limits and maybe cancel 1 or 2 of my smaller cards.  Is it OK to have most cards from 1 group like Capital one?  I wouldn't mind it as long as my credit limits are high and they report to all the agencies.  My balances are normally $2-3 per card.  I get close to the limit because of multiple large charges close, but pay it back down within the week.

So is it worth going for a venture card or multiple high cards with just capital one? My secured NFCU should be graduating this month or next month...so I plan to keep NFCU and Cap One since Cap has been so nice to us.

Message 7 of 9
Scupra
Super Contributor

@DaUsMsB wrote:

Interesting, i've been gardening hard with their 2 cards mainly.  On my quick silver i started at 3k, 4 months in I asked for more because I saw myself getting close to the limit even though I was paying weekly and most of the times multiple times a week.  They increased me to 9k when I asked...then after 5 on time payments another 500 dollar bump to $9500.

Hearing this news I almost want to try for a venture card with higher limits and maybe cancel 1 or 2 of my smaller cards.  Is it OK to have most cards from 1 group like Capital one?  I wouldn't mind it as long as my credit limits are high and they report to all the agencies.  My balances are normally $2-3 per card.  I get close to the limit because of multiple large charges close, but pay it back down within the week.

So is it worth going for a venture card or multiple high cards with just capital one? My secured NFCU should be graduating this month or next month...so I plan to keep NFCU and Cap One since Cap has been so nice to us.

It is best to have a diverse credit profile. "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 9
yoyo
Established Contributor

When appling for the Sony's card...they told 5 cards

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.