Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captial One after Bankruptcy

tag
scorpiyo
Valued Member

Captial One after Bankruptcy

Hello all, 

I'm looking to regain my capital one card back.  I was just wondering how gracious they are in providing you another card if you included a previous card in a BK.  BK was discharged recently (on 9/1/15).  I attempted to app with them a day ago and and was denied based on this decision:

The reason(s) for our decision are: • Based on your application information, there are too many delinquent past or present Capital One credit obligation(s)

Should I wait a month or two and try again or would it be better just to voluntarily pay the balance on the old card before trying to app with them again.  The old card had a small balance about $300 dollars.

Thanks!

Chapter 7 discharge 9/1/15

Starting scores EQ - 571 / TU - 548 / EX - 579
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Captial One after Bankruptcy

From what I hear it's around 6 months before they let you back in.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 11
scorpiyo
Valued Member

Smiley Sad That's a long time.  Thanks for the reply!

Chapter 7 discharge 9/1/15

Starting scores EQ - 571 / TU - 548 / EX - 579
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scorpiyo wrote:

Not so bad. It was five years for me as I had a Chapter 13. Capital One was the first creditor to let me back in the door. 

Message 4 of 11
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@scorpiyo wrote:

Not so bad. It was five years for me as I had a Chapter 13. Capital One was the first creditor to let me back in the door. 

Same here... got mine the day after discharge... 5 years later.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 11
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@scorpiyo wrote:

Six months is actually a realative short time given the response from Cap1. I waiting one year .. and still thought that was pretty accomodating on Cap1's part.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

We got back in between 4 and 5 months after discharge. I would check the prequalification page with Capital One before trying to apply again. It hasn't failed us. It may depend on how much you burned them in your BK7. Keep an eye on the page and remember normally you can get 2 approvals from them when you are prequalified.

Message 7 of 11
Pway
Valued Contributor

I was let back in with Capital One around the 4th month.  Although I had done some rebuilding as well.  I obtained a secured card with my credit union, opened a express card and obtained a fingerhut account.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 8 of 11
bstone
Frequent Contributor

It seems we've been the exception with a lot of the cards we've been approved for. The wife and I both burned Cap 1 for several thousand dollars and had approvals for QS and Platinum within a month or so after DC...
NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, Cap1 gave me a auto loan and 2 unsecured out the gate(same week as discharge chap 7). I had burned them in BK as well.

I believe their pre-qualify page is pretty accurate so you might give that a shot before you app again in a few months.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.