Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Repossessed that was not included in BK Ch 7

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Car Repossessed that was not included in BK Ch 7

Be careful, I notice Florida is in your list of Non-Deficiency states yet the bank can come after the borrower after a foreclosure or ss as long as it is within one year (since July 2013) prior to July 2013 the bank/lender had 5 years. Make sure you speak to a knowledgeable attorney if you find yourself in this position.

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/foreclosure/deficiency-laws-in-florida.html

Message 21 of 24
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Be careful, I notice Florida is in your list of Non-Deficiency states yet the bank can come after the borrower after a foreclosure or ss as long as it is within one year (since July 2013) prior to July 2013 the bank/lender had 5 years. Make sure you speak to a knowledgeable attorney if you find yourself in this position.

Thanks StartingOver, I edited my post to strikethrough Florida.

And consulting with a knowledgeable attorney for something as important as BK and your home's mortgage is always good advice.

Message 22 of 24
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Thanks StartingOver, I edited my post to strikethrough Florida.

1. And consulting with a knowledgeable attorney for something as important as BK and your home's mortgage is always good advice.

You also have to be careful in Arizona.

1. If the residential property is lost to a trustee sale, anti deficiency does not apply if the property was in excess of 2.5 acres. See ARS 33-814(G). See also ARS 33-814(H) for construction loans originating after 12/31/14. If anti deficiency does not apply, lender has 90 days post trustee sale to file an action to collect. ARS 33-814(A).

2. Anti deficiency only applies to purchase money loans (full or partial) for 2.5 acres or less under judicial foreclosure therefore, it does not apply if the residential property secures a non-purchase money obligation and is judicially foreclosed. ARS 33-729(A). See also 729(C) for additional limitations for construction loans entered into after 12/31/14. Note: Many HELOC lenders (with true HELOCs or NPMSIs not that 80/20 type garbage) will elect judicial foreclosure when justified.

Bottom line here is that you cannot make a general statement as it relates to a particular state’s anti deficiency law. You need to read each law as the devil is in the details.

Des.

Message 23 of 24
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@despritfreya wrote:

You also have to be careful in Arizona.

1. If the residential property is lost to a trustee sale, anti deficiency does not apply if the property was in excess of 2.5 acres. See ARS 33-814(G). See also ARS 33-814(H) for construction loans originating after 12/31/14. If anti deficiency does not apply, lender has 90 days post trustee sale to file an action to collect. ARS 33-814(A).

2. Anti deficiency only applies to purchase money loans (full or partial) for 2.5 acres or less under judicial foreclosure therefore, it does not apply if the residential property secures a non-purchase money obligation and is judicially foreclosed. ARS 33-729(A). See also 729(C) for additional limitations for construction loans entered into after 12/31/14. Note: Many HELOC lenders (with true HELOCs or NPMSIs not that 80/20 type garbage) will elect judicial foreclosure when justified.

Des.

Oh, it gets even more complicated then that. Arizona is one of the few states with both judicial and non-judicial foreclosure proceedings. The non-judicial process of foreclosure is used when a power of sale clause exists in a mortgage or deed of trust. And if the deed of trust or mortgage contains a power of sale clause and specifies the time, place and terms of sale, then the specified procedure must be followed. But, a residence on less than 2.5 acres probably covers 99% of Arrizona mortgages..

"Bottom line here is that you cannot make a general statement as it relates to a particular state’s anti deficiency law. You need to read each law as the devil is in the details."

Agreed. I made no general statement. A general statement would be that if your state is on the list as having Anti-Deficiency laws and Non-Recourse mortgages you can file BK Pro-Se (without an attorney), blindly confident that you can reaffirm your mortgage with no consequences or exposure to liability. I was suggesting instead that if your state has Anti-Deficiency law you should have detailed conversation with a competent attorney on the pros & cons of reaffirming a mortgage if you want to keep the property. Actually, that's a good attorney/client conversation to have in any state.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.