Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car lease in Chapter 13

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car lease in Chapter 13

Howdy - haven't found this topic on the boards yet - hoping someone can tell me how a new car lease/loan would work while still in Chapter 13 repayment plan?  My lease will be up when I still have approx 15 months to go in repayment plan (assuming it goes a full 5 years.)  Will I be able to get trustee permission to either buy my current car out on a loan or lease something else?  Or will I be sent to the dreaded JD Byriders of the world?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Car lease in Chapter 13

Has your Chapter 13 commenced already? I suspect if the lease was allowed and included in your case, then the trustee realizes you'll have to do something about a vehicle at its expiration. Generally, even in the strictest districts, new debt is allowed with trustee/court permission. By the time you have 15 months left in your Chapter 13, you'll have demonstrated an ability to meet monthly obligations for multiple years. I think getting a car -- whether this one or another -- won't be beyond reach.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Car lease in Chapter 13

Yep - I just made payment #19 to plan - lease ends Sept 2011, BK would end Dec 2012 if it goes full 5 years.  My lease was allowed but I make payments outside of plan for both car and mortgage.  My thinking was that it should be OK as long as all payments are being made on car and BK, since they have to realize I'll have to replace the vehicle with something at the end of lease.  Since it's a Pontiac I would think Government Motors will work with people in BK since they are no stranger to it Smiley Tongue

Thanks for the comment

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.