Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car loan after discharge Ch. 7 versus Ch. 13

tag
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

Car loan after discharge Ch. 7 versus Ch. 13

I am noticing a lot of posts here about people applying for car loans soon after discharge. Am I correct in seeing that Ch. 13 people can get better terms and sooner after discharge than Ch. 7? 

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Car loan after discharge Ch. 7 versus Ch. 13

I read where someone said it's because more time has passed when discharged from a Chapter 13. By the time someone is discharged, it is 3-5 years past filing. In a Chapter 7, it is a matter of months. I don't remember who said that, but it made sense to me.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Car loan after discharge Ch. 7 versus Ch. 13

It all depends on the trustee for the chapter 13. If the trustee allows you to rebuild credit during your plan (mine allows me to get credit under 5k) then yes when it comes time for discharge the person in the chapter 13 will be in better shape because they were able to rebuild for 3-5 years. Chapter 7 you're discharged within a matter of months and if someone goes for an auto loan right after discharge then they're going to get hit with a huge interest rate usually.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.