cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car while waiting for ch7 discharge with a co-signer?

tag
Stlsmvp

Car while waiting for ch7 discharge with a co-signer?

How possible is it? I could easily have my fiancé co-sign for me. Will they approve me pre-discharge then? Or should I have her just try and obtain a second car loan and could I be the cosigner? I'm in need of a car and trying to think of my options.

Thanks
Dyimon
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Re: Car while waiting for ch7 discharge with a co-signer?

This thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/BK7-Newbie-In-need-of-vehicle-prior-to-discharge/td-p/291...

See what ezdriver and I say in it... it's really good advice.

For 1000 reasons, please don't have your fiance co-sign for you.  No one should ever cosign for anyone. Ever.  The only pseudo-exception to this rule is for community property states that force both people on to a mortgage.  Other than that, don't cosign for kids, wives, banks, husbands, parents... just never do it and never let anyone do it for you.  Ever.   I know this is a hard stance, but I'm of the position that keeping finances seperate is mandatory, at least until you've been married a bit. 

Basically:

You can rebuild without them Cosigning for you. (and get a car-loan @ <6% right after your BK)

You're making them assume all the risk

Financial difficulty is the #1 killer of marriage.  Fact.  Keep it seperate and one of you can always stay level headed about debt.

While no one can predict the future, and everyone getting married hates this statistic:  60% of marriages end in divorce within like 5-7 years.  Everyone of those marriages said "Yeah, but it's different for me" going in to it and still got divorced.  If you insist on co-mingling funds/credit profiles, do it 5-7 years into your marriage when the divorce % drops drastically.

Non-married families/friends have seen their relationships torn apart because of borrowed money.  When you have someone cosign, you're essentially borrowng money from them.

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 2 of 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Car while waiting for ch7 discharge with a co-signer?

@Stlsmvp wrote:
How possible is it? I could easily have my fiancé co-sign for me. Will they approve me pre-discharge then? Or should I have her just try and obtain a second car loan and could I be the cosigner? I'm in need of a car and trying to think of my options.

Thanks
Dyimon

Wow! Are you represented by counsel in your bankruptcy filing? Have you run these questions by your attorney? Are you planning to take action without the trustee's approval?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.