cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cautionary: Post BK auto finance and multiple hard inquiries!

tag
beezer32
Regular Contributor

Cautionary: Post BK auto finance and multiple hard inquiries!

Just sharing a troubling experience for those out freshly discharged and considering the auto finance route. We recently went into a dealership with our newly issued discharge papers, down payment and all of the necessary stuff you need to apply with and essentially got sucker punched with an unpleasant amount of hard credit pulls.

Before deciding to finance, my wife and I accepted the conclusion that there would certainly be some inquiries and that's just the way things work. So my complaint isn't that there were hard pulls on our credit but rather the unscrupulous promises some dealerships will make to get your app through.

At the dealership, we made sure the salesman understood that it was equally important that our credit file take a minimal impact, as it was to get a decent finance offer. We explained that we were okay and understood that there would be 'hard' inquiries made but also made it known that we didn't want our app bouncing to lender after lender until an offer was made. The salesman assured us that they had a solid system that gets them the right lender within 2 inquiries to a maximum of 3 total inquiries.

I could live with 2-3 inquiries. It's the price you pay for gaining credit risk with a prospective lender.

What I did not expect however was for the dealerships 'solid' system to actually run myself and my wife through 13 (THIRTEEN) loan lenders.  This, after the salesman stated there would only be 2 (TWO) to 3 (THREE) maximum. I didn't even know about this until I got home and opened my email to see alerts from both PrivacyGaurd and Credit Karma stating I had 13 new hard inquiries. 2 were from the dealership itself and 11 others from individual lenders.

Now, my purpose for this post isn't necessarily to get on here and whine about my decisions. However, I wanted to share a cautionary experience to people like me who are fresh out of CH7 and trying to rebuild. This is proof positive that dealerships will tell you anything in order to get you to authorize a credit app. They want to sell cars. I get that. Just do not take their word for it that your inquiries will be minimal. They can and will run your app through as many creditors as it takes to get the deal you want and in the same breath, lie to you about how they go about it.

I kept asking the salesman every time he came back from the finance room "Now you're sure you don't need to have any more pulls on my credit and that part is done right?". He would always answer "Oh yeah, we have what we need and if we need to negotiate further, we will just pick up the phone".

He lied.

Hard inquiries remain on your credit report for up to 2 years. While they do have a lower impact on your overall score, they do make up 15% of it. It does matter. Anyone who has ever been denied credit will likely to have seen "Too many inquiries" as a reason for denial.

Just beware that no matter how much the dealership says they understand your credit concerns, they only care about one thing: Selling you the car. Not your credit.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cautionary: Post BK auto finance and multiple hard inquiries!

I've had that happen before and ended up with 7 or 8 inquiries. Car dealers lie like politicians and in fact that dealer is now the Lt Governor of WV. 

Meanwhile did they at least get you approved.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's why it's always good to freeze all your credit report before you go car shopping . They have to ask you for your pin. All three.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

And also forget to mention Fico count it as one. And when you apply for credit if ask, just tell them or they will see it you were car shopping. After a year the inquiry won't matter.
Message 4 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That's why it's always good to freeze all your credit report before you go car shopping . They have to ask you for your pin. All three.

I think it's a better idea to secure your own financing before you go car shopping, never let a dealer play the financing roulette game for you. In this day and age it's so easy to loan shop online. Granted it's more difficult when just recently discharged but you can scan & upload a copy of your discharge papers if needed, or fax it to them. I'd start with Capital One auto loans and if no luck move down to the higher rate lenders like Santander - just Google "bad credit auto loans" and see all the hits you get.. Also when reccently discharged be prepared for outrageous interest rates but keep focused on the big picture, after 6 on time payments you can refi at a much better rate.

Message 5 of 9
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it's a better idea to secure your own financing before you go car shopping, never let a dealer play the financing roulette game for you. In this day and age it's so easy to loan shop online.

I don't like the costs associated with freezing/unfreezing CR's.  I've never had any unauthorized credit pull and the minimal affect that INQs have on your score make it so not worth it to me.

I actually did secure my own financing... with my home CU BECU for $28k.  Problem was the car I wanted (2015 Challenger RT) was close to $40k and they wouldn't budge.  Further complicating things was the fact I didn't want to drop $5k on a down payment just to save $60 a month.  I'd rather keep the cash and get GAP insurance through Progressive.  ($17 month)

So the dealer shopped my app (709 EQ Auto FICO) and after roughly 6 INQs on each CRA... I was approved by another local CU at 4.49%.  I plan to refi this fall with BECU down to their best rate of 1.99%.  I'm just waiting on my Ch 13 derogs to fall off TU... Oct 1st with early exclusion.

I lost 1 pt on EQ... none on TU and EX.  This was in January... in a few more weeks it will be 6 months and in another 6 months the INQs I took won't matter at all.  In the end it was worth it... I got the car I wanted... the price I wanted... for $0 down.

IMG_2390b.jpgIMG_2359.JPG

Smiley Wink

FICO8 current as of : 4-12-24 EQ: 724 TU: 702 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 9
jim44
Established Contributor

All great advice.  Also too, with MOST franchise and independent dealers, the salemen do not pull credit.  They may help you fill out a credit app, give you prices, write up a bill of sale but the F&I manager is the one who does the financing arrangements. Both work on commission so yes they want to sell you a car and MOST will stretch the truth.... maybe in your case, the F&I manager told your salesmen he/she would honor your request which they obviously didn't do.  So as a suggestion it may be the best idea to talk to F & I for particulars or requests... in this case your request to limit the HP's. Thanks for sharing your bad experience, it will help others in the future who read your post.

Message 7 of 9
beezer32
Regular Contributor

You're 100% correct. The finance people actually perform the steps to secure the loans. My salesman acted like he had it all under control. I was literally hounding him the entire time to make sure my credit did suffer multiple hard pulls. The people in the finance office either didn't get the message or didn't care. What does a car sales person make these days on commission?

Message 8 of 9
beezer32
Regular Contributor

BTW, TRC... that's a mighty 'fly whip' you have there! My my! =)

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.