cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ch 7 discharge soon - Just got approved for 3k limit. Next steps to 700+ score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ch 7 discharge soon - Just got approved for 3k limit. Next steps to 700+ score?

I haven't received my discharge yet, but I got a pre-approved letter from capital one, so I went for it. Was surprised to get a $3k limit. 

My transunion score is 666, my Equifax is 654.

What are my next steps to building up my credit? 

Should I get some secured cards as well?

How soon should I start applying again?

Which banks should I apply to?

I included the following banks in my BK.

Barclays

Discover

Chase

USAA

Citi

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
srloring13
Regular Contributor

Re: Ch 7 discharge soon - Just got approved for 3k limit. Next steps to 700+ score?

Please dont apply for any more cards until after your BK is discharged.  I'd hate for your accounts to be closed due to your open BK and you could get into some trouble.  Wait until your discharge and visit the following thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

FILED CH7 BK 02/25/13 -- DISCHARGED 06/10/13
Starting Scores 06/10/13 EQ474 EX538 TU503
Message 2 of 4
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

Re: Ch 7 discharge soon - Just got approved for 3k limit. Next steps to 700+ score?

There is no problem if you are about to get discharged.
BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 3 of 4
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I suggest waiting for your discharge.  The 30 days later apply for another Cap One, a Merrick (when you get the letter) and a Barclays in 6-12 months.

That is plenty to build your credit fast in the first 12 months.

Cap One will grow with you if you are loyal.

I too started with a 3k card now I have 50k between 2 cards with them 3 years later.

There is life after BK.  Hang in there.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/Life-is-Good-After-Bankruptcy-7-Keep-the-Course-Keep-the-...

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.