cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chap 7 Discharged Aug 2013, rebuilding now with 4 new cards, a car loan and some hope

tag
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Chap 7 Discharged Aug 2013, rebuilding now with 4 new cards, a car loan and some hope

Hello everyone. This will be my first post and I wanted to introduce myself and give everyone a little bit of background on me, my credit situation, my current rebuilding strategy, and my future plans to obtain an 800+ credit score. Smiley Very Happy

My husband and I filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in April 2013 and we received a discharge August 31 of 2013. Although we did not reaffirm our mortgage, we did decide to stay in our home and continue paying our mortgage payments because a few years ago we had our mortgage modified through the HAMP to a 2% fixed rate and our mortgage payment on a $200,000 home is only $650, so we cannot even rent this cheap. We currently owe about $40,000 more than our home is worth so it will be a while before we have any equity in our house. Our mortgage is with Ocwen bank and they have informed us that as long as we pay our monthly payment on time, they have no intentions of ever foreclosing on our home and in fact, if we pay off our home in full over the next 24 years of our loan, we will even get the deed to our home so it is a win-win situation for us. the only problem we are having is now that the mortgage is showing up as included in our chapter 7 bankruptcy, our monthly payments are not reporting anymore so I will have to call the bank and find out if we can fix that so that our monthly payments will report to our credit reports.

Our discharge was August 31 of 2013 and within a week of our discharge I started receiving preapproved credit offers from credit one bank, orchard bank, and capital one Bank. We were also receiving many preapproved offers for auto financing from the day we filed for bankruptcy but we decided to wait until the bankruptcy was discharged to buy a car. The first week of September I went online and applied for a preapproved capital one MasterCard and was given a $300 unsecured credit limit. The very next week we went to the Nissan dealership and financed a $25,000 brand new Nissan Altima with no money down, no trade-in, and were approved through Capital One. We received an interest rate of 15.99% for 72 months. Later that week my husband decided to apply for capital one MasterCard is well, even though he had not received a preapproved offer in the mail. We believe this may be due to the fact that he put a capital one MasterCard into our bankruptcy. At any rate, he applied online and was approved for $300 unsecured MasterCard, just like mine. So by the end of September 2013, just 30 days after our chapter 7 bankruptcy was discharged, we had a $25,000 auto loan at 15.99% with no money down, and each of us had a $300 unsecured capital one MasterCard platinum card. We decided not to apply for the credit one and orchard bank cards.

A few weeks after I received my capital one MasterCard in the mail, I noticed that I had another preapproved offer from capital one so I decided on a whim to apply for it and see what happened. To my surprise, capital one approved me for a second MasterCard unsecured with the credit limit of $500. My husband decided that he would go online and also apply for another capital one MasterCard just like I did but he received a response that they were unable to process his application. A week later we received a lettter in the mail stating that they could not approve the card because he already had another card application in process. We are assuming this was because of how new the first credit card was. In mid-October I was online shopping at Walmart when I noticed an offer for $25 in free merchandise credit if I opened a Walmart credit card online and spent at least $75 on my first purchase. I really did not expect to get approved but I applied anyways. Once again, to my surprise, I was approved instantly online for a $400 credit limit and the card was sent to me within a week. My husband went online the next day and also applied for the Walmart credit card but he was declined for the card. My husband had a Walmart card that was included in bankruptcy so this may be the reason. I also shop online at a store called womanwithin.com and they sent me a preapproval for a $250 credit card limit in my email a few weeks ago. I went to their site and applied for the card and was approved instantly online.

I forgot to mention that at the time our credit report was pulled for the vehicle at the dealership, both of our credit scores were in the mid to high 500s, so the fact that anyone would give us credit with scores that low was amazing to me. As of today, my husbands FICO score is now 665 according to myfico.com and my FICO score is 635, so our scores have went up significantly since the first week of September.

On a whim tonight, my husband logged in to pay a payment on his capital one MasterCard with the $300 limit and decided to see if he was pre-approved for another card. The message said he was not pre-approved but suggested the Platinum classic card, along with a few others. He decided to apply again for a second MasterCard with capital one since the letter we received in the mail stated that the reason they could not approve him at the time is because he had another application being processed. He selected the apply now button on the top suggested card. To our absolute surprise he was approved for a capital one MasterCard with a $2000 credit limit. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that, I absolutely could not believe it! So as of December 1, 2013, my husband and I each have two capital one MasterCard's with credit limits of $300, $500, $300, and $2000 respectively. I have a Walmart credit card with a $400 limit and a woman within credit card with a $250 limit. We are done applying for and getting credit cards for at least a year. We plan to pay on time every month of course, and keep our utilization below 10%. In one year from now we will apply for a barclays rewards card and see what else is possible for us at that time. We also plan on requesting credit limit increases every 4 to 6 months on the cards that we currently have.

I am so thankful to this board for the information that I have learned from reading the forums. I really and truly expected that I would have to rely on secured credit cards to start off with and never in a million years did I dream that we could get a car finance with no money down just days after a chapter 7 was discharged. I understand the interest rate is high but we plan to have this car paid off in full within the next 18 to 24 months. We are sending an extra $1000 every month with our payment so we can pay it off quickly, so the interest rate will effectively be way lower than 15.99%.

I also wanted to mention that we both applied for a target card and an Amazon card based on the information I read on these boards but we were both denied for the cards. I am thinking it is because our bankruptcy is so fresh so maybe after a year it would be easier for us to obtain these cards but in a year from now we will not want these cards. LOL. The only other thing that we plan to do is open a $3000-$5000 credit limit secured card through our credit union that will report to our credit reports and help to hopefully raise our credit scores, other than that we are happy with the cards that we have and have no intentions on applying for any more cards for at least a year.

One more thing, as soon as we received our capital one MasterCard's in the mail, we went online and register them for an online account to manage them. We put each other on as authorized users to each other's accounts and they are already showing up on our credit reports so I believe this is also helping our scores as well. I will update my signature as soon as I figure out how to do it and I plan to contribute as much as I can to this board and I appreciate all the help that I have received from reading so far.

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Chap 7 Discharged Aug 2013, rebuilding now with 4 new cards, a car loan and some hope

@Divaofsongs wrote:

Hello everyone. This will be my first post and I wanted to introduce myself and give everyone a little bit of background on me, my credit situation, my current rebuilding strategy, and my future plans to obtain an 800+ credit score. Smiley Very Happy

My husband and I filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in April 2013 and we received a discharge August 31 of 2013. Although we did not reaffirm our mortgage, we did decide to stay in our home and continue paying our mortgage payments because a few years ago we had our mortgage modified through the HAMP to a 2% fixed rate and our mortgage payment on a $200,000 home is only $650, so we cannot even rent this cheap. We currently owe about $40,000 more than our home is worth so it will be a while before we have any equity in our house. Our mortgage is with Ocwen bank and they have informed us that as long as we pay our monthly payment on time, they have no intentions of ever foreclosing on our home and in fact, if we pay off our home in full over the next 24 years of our loan, we will even get the deed to our home so it is a win-win situation for us. the only problem we are having is now that the mortgage is showing up as included in our chapter 7 bankruptcy, our monthly payments are not reporting anymore so I will have to call the bank and find out if we can fix that so that our monthly payments will report to our credit reports.

Our discharge was August 31 of 2013 and within a week of our discharge I started receiving preapproved credit offers from credit one bank, orchard bank, and capital one Bank. We were also receiving many preapproved offers for auto financing from the day we filed for bankruptcy but we decided to wait until the bankruptcy was discharged to buy a car. The first week of September I went online and applied for a preapproved capital one MasterCard and was given a $300 unsecured credit limit. The very next week we went to the Nissan dealership and financed a $25,000 brand new Nissan Altima with no money down, no trade-in, and were approved through Capital One. We received an interest rate of 15.99% for 72 months. Later that week my husband decided to apply for capital one MasterCard is well, even though he had not received a preapproved offer in the mail. We believe this may be due to the fact that he put a capital one MasterCard into our bankruptcy. At any rate, he applied online and was approved for $300 unsecured MasterCard, just like mine. So by the end of September 2013, just 30 days after our chapter 7 bankruptcy was discharged, we had a $25,000 auto loan at 15.99% with no money down, and each of us had a $300 unsecured capital one MasterCard platinum card. We decided not to apply for the credit one and orchard bank cards.

A few weeks after I received my capital one MasterCard in the mail, I noticed that I had another preapproved offer from capital one so I decided on a whim to apply for it and see what happened. To my surprise, capital one approved me for a second MasterCard unsecured with the credit limit of $500. My husband decided that he would go online and also apply for another capital one MasterCard just like I did but he received a response that they were unable to process his application. A week later we received a lettter in the mail stating that they could not approve the card because he already had another card application in process. We are assuming this was because of how new the first credit card was. In mid-October I was online shopping at Walmart when I noticed an offer for $25 in free merchandise credit if I opened a Walmart credit card online and spent at least $75 on my first purchase. I really did not expect to get approved but I applied anyways. Once again, to my surprise, I was approved instantly online for a $400 credit limit and the card was sent to me within a week. My husband went online the next day and also applied for the Walmart credit card but he was declined for the card. My husband had a Walmart card that was included in bankruptcy so this may be the reason. I also shop online at a store called womanwithin.com and they sent me a preapproval for a $250 credit card limit in my email a few weeks ago. I went to their site and applied for the card and was approved instantly online.

I forgot to mention that at the time our credit report was pulled for the vehicle at the dealership, both of our credit scores were in the mid to high 500s, so the fact that anyone would give us credit with scores that low was amazing to me. As of today, my husbands FICO score is now 665 according to myfico.com and my FICO score is 635, so our scores have went up significantly since the first week of September.

On a whim tonight, my husband logged in to pay a payment on his capital one MasterCard with the $300 limit and decided to see if he was pre-approved for another card. The message said he was not pre-approved but suggested the Platinum classic card, along with a few others. He decided to apply again for a second MasterCard with capital one since the letter we received in the mail stated that the reason they could not approve him at the time is because he had another application being processed. He selected the apply now button on the top suggested card. To our absolute surprise he was approved for a capital one MasterCard with a $2000 credit limit. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that, I absolutely could not believe it! So as of December 1, 2013, my husband and I each have two capital one MasterCard's with credit limits of $300, $500, $300, and $2000 respectively. I have a Walmart credit card with a $400 limit and a woman within credit card with a $250 limit. We are done applying for and getting credit cards for at least a year. We plan to pay on time every month of course, and keep our utilization below 10%. In one year from now we will apply for a barclays rewards card and see what else is possible for us at that time. We also plan on requesting credit limit increases every 4 to 6 months on the cards that we currently have.

I am so thankful to this board for the information that I have learned from reading the forums. I really and truly expected that I would have to rely on secured credit cards to start off with and never in a million years did I dream that we could get a car finance with no money down just days after a chapter 7 was discharged. I understand the interest rate is high but we plan to have this car paid off in full within the next 18 to 24 months. We are sending an extra $1000 every month with our payment so we can pay it off quickly, so the interest rate will effectively be way lower than 15.99%.

I also wanted to mention that we both applied for a target card and an Amazon card based on the information I read on these boards but we were both denied for the cards. I am thinking it is because our bankruptcy is so fresh so maybe after a year it would be easier for us to obtain these cards but in a year from now we will not want these cards. LOL. The only other thing that we plan to do is open a $3000-$5000 credit limit secured card through our credit union that will report to our credit reports and help to hopefully raise our credit scores, other than that we are happy with the cards that we have and have no intentions on applying for any more cards for at least a year.

One more thing, as soon as we received our capital one MasterCard's in the mail, we went online and register them for an online account to manage them. We put each other on as authorized users to each other's accounts and they are already showing up on our credit reports so I believe this is also helping our scores as well. I will update my signature as soon as I figure out how to do it and I plan to contribute as much as I can to this board and I appreciate all the help that I have received from reading so far.

I am at work so I cannot go into detail but.. I don't think this card is needed, both of you have 2-3 unsecured cards and an installment loan already. Maybe if there is a chance of it graduating to an unsecured card I could understand. I think it may help you get higher limit cards.. FICO likes 2-3 revolving cards and installment history which both of you guys have Smiley Happy Hopefully someone else will chime in to help you. Congrats on the awesome progress so far and WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 8
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Chap 7 Discharged Aug 2013, rebuilding now with 4 new cards, a car loan and some hope

Agree with Scupra!!

Welcome to the boards, and congrats on dc! Mine was dc mid August and I cheated and had a secured card 2 weeks before my discharge already, and a month later cap one MC, and in October NFCU visa. So I'm on my way as wellSmiley Happy I keep my reported balance on one card only to 2%, and $0 report on the other two cards, but I use all three cards. I also have 2 federal school loans in good standing and reporting.

At the beginning of August all my scores were mid 400's, and now in my siggy. I'm still doing credit report clean up making sure everything is reporting as it should on accounts IIB. Once those report as they should , plus with my cards reporting over the next months... I should see more of a change by AprilSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 8
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Just a little update. I know I said I was done for 6 months to a year but I was on Amazon.com the other day and got the pre-approval offer so I applied and was approved for $900 CL for their store card. This prompted me to think I might qualify for the Barclay's Mastercard and I applied for that today and was approved instantly for $1500, my husband was approved instanty for $1800. It has not even been 7 months since our discharge and I also got my first CLI on my Wal-Mart card of $900 the other day without asking and Capital One said I would get a $200 CLI on their credit steps program for my first Mastercard with them and yesterday I logged in and they gave me a $1300 increase instead of $200, which was nice and unexpected. I know everyone's situation is different but I am just blown away at how easy it has been to get credit again after my Chapter 7 was discharged in Aug of 2103. 

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 4 of 8
CrazyCatLady75

Isn't this too many different lines of credit?  I'm just curious.  I am newly debt free and I was under the impression you should have no more than 2 store cards and 2 regular cards.

I am learning right now.  I am not even ready to apply for my first card yet as I have some credit report updates that need to be done. 

BK 7 Discharged 02/14
My Fico Score 587 02/08/14
My Fico Score 633 04/16/14
Message 5 of 8
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

I am not sure CrazyCatLady75, you are probably correct. I have 3 major credit cards (2 with Cap One and 1 with Barclay's) and 3 store cards (Walmart, Woman Within and Amazon). It may seem like I have more because I have also been posting about my husband's cards as well as mine. He has the same cards I have, minus the Woman Within card. We also have one car loan and our mortgage as well. 

When I first started applying after BK discharge, my approvals were for $300 and $500 limits. Now that I have had a chance to pay on time every month and prove myself a little, my latest approvals were for $900 and $1500, which are much higher than the $300 and $500 limits I had in Sept. of 2013. I plan to get as many CLI's as I can on these cards and the next card I will be trying to get will be a prime lender's card in a couple of years from now. I think the car loana nd mortgage are helping a lot too. 

You are right though, I may have too many cards already but I am just glad to be able to get them. :-) My reason for BK was not due to overuse of credit before, I always kept my usage under 20% and paid on time. I had close to a million dollars in medical bills due to my chronic illness and no medical insurance that forced us into BK. Now that I have insurance, hopefully I won't have to worry about that any more. 

Message 6 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

@CrazyCatLady75 wrote:

Isn't this too many different lines of credit?  I'm just curious.  I am newly debt free and I was under the impression you should have no more than 2 store cards and 2 regular cards.

I am learning right now.  I am not even ready to apply for my first card yet as I have some credit report updates that need to be done. 

It does not really matter how many credit cards you have as long as you use them responsibly and you keep your utilization reporting correctly. FICO likes to see under 10% util on one card and all other cards at $0 The only thing with acquiring may cards is the inquires and shortened AAoA that come along with them. Even at that though, your score will recover in time Smiley Happy Hope this helps!

Congrats on your success Diva!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thinking of filing chapter 7 within the next few weeks. Debit (cc) is climbing and income is decreasing and cant meet utilities, signature loans(late),cc payments and other daily living needs. Concerns:

1. Child is in college and has Parent Plus loan. They will not get if we file. Advise?

2. Car just tanked. Needs 1400$ service. Could charge or try for a 5-9K loan. Would probably get approved for outrageous interest rate auto loan, but dont want it to impact chapter 7 options. 

3.Also, have vacation home with less then 40k  equity. Has a max 2nd morg. on it, but is current. Will we have to lose this property? Thanks. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.