Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 13 Discharge Process

tag
aztecmatt

Chapter 13 Discharge Process

Hello,

I have been a lurker on here for several years and want to thank and congratulate everyone for their advice, experiences and successes, I have learned a great deal from you.  I was wondering if someone could walk me through the chapter 13 discharge process.  My wife and I file in Feb 2010 and was confirmed Sept 2010.  When I check the NDC (ch 13) website and my trustee's website the status of my case is "about to complete".  The last payments to the creditors have been sent.  Does anybody know the next steps in the process?  I'm assuming that once the final checks clear an audit will be done and if no creditors have an objection, the discharge will go through.  Does anyone know the details of what happens next and the time frame?  Thanks so much for your help.

Matt

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

Re: Chapter 13 Discharge Process

You've pretty much got it... but don't expect your discharge papers the next day or anything.  The creditors have 30 days to object I believe...

For me I sent my payoff the first week of February... and got my discharge the first week of May.

Message 2 of 5
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

You will get a form that you have to sign and send back asap. Forgive me for not remembering what the form is, but is required to discharge.  I think we got our formal discharge papers in the mail about 6 weeks after our last payment. Of course it all depends on how your trustee runs their office.

Message 3 of 5
aztecmatt

Hi TRC,

Thanks for the info.  One question...I'm assuming that I made my last payment in Feb because the principal owed according to the NDC and Trustee web-sites indicate that I have a zero balance (I actually have an overpaid balance of about $2200).  If it takes a month or two to complete the process do I need to make an more payments (I was sending a personal chaeck each month).  Thanks for your help.

Matt

Message 4 of 5
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

I wouldn't think so.

You should get a refund check for any overpayment differences once the trustee completes everything on their end... I got one for like $40 a few weeks before I got the discharge paperwork.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.