Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 13 & Vehicle

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chapter 13 & Vehicle

I had filed Chapter 13 which included a vehicle. Well its on its last leg and I don't think its going to run much longer. Does anyone know if you are allowed to have the vehicle discharged or allowed to trade while in Chapter 13? thanks so much!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chapter 13 & Vehicle

Hi alan,

In our state, we had to get the trustee's permission to purchase a new (new to us - a used) vehicle after ours was totalled in a crash.  (Gotta love 16 year old drivers).

I would assume this is a fairly common occurrence.  Check in with your attorney.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

youRe: Chapter 13 & Vehicle

thank you! Someone said that if you affirmed your vehicle that you could not do anything.  So, not really sure what that means...

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: youRe: Chapter 13 & Vehicle

Afraid we'lll have to defer to other experts.

We paid for the vehicle in full - the old one, that is.  We didn't get to "write off" or have any portion of the original car loan forgiven.  Is that what you're looking for?  In fact, our insurance coverage, which was paid directly to the lien holder, was less than the amount due on the loan, and we paid the difference.  It remained as part of the BK until the payments were completed.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: youRe: Chapter 13 & Vehicle

Yes contact your lawyer and tell them you want to give the vehicle back, if you are still in the ch 13 you should be able to do this, however then if you give it back and then need to buy a new one, you might have trouble getting the court to approve it.  So be sure to cover all bases with your attorney first

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.