cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 13 discharge questions?

tag
mimsey11

Chapter 13 discharge questions?

Hello folks I'm new here, and I had some questions about my chapter 13 bankruptcy. First off let me fill you in on my situation, I live in Illinois, and my confirmed date was june of 2008. I have not missed a payment, nor been late on any. My last payment is June 2012 end of the month, my paralegal informed me that I wasn't required to send or forfeit my tax refunds to the trustee since my case was confirmed in 2008 something to do with the law changing. So my first question would be has anyone here dealt with the trustee Russel C Simon? And how long after my discharge can I expect to see a cease and desist order for wage garnishments? I did all my meetings, and credit courses. And my second question would be, what should I be on the lookout for as far as my discharge is concerned? Does anyone see any problems here? I would greatly appreciate any info. Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Chapter 13 discharge questions?

I do not know the trustee but typically after your last payment, they won't take any more money out of your account. I am assuming by wage garnishments you are referring to the auto payments on the Ch 13 plan. If so, I wouldn't call it a wage garnishment...those are forced upon you by law, whereas the Ch13 payments can be paid by check as well.

I received my Ch 13 discharge in a month but some on here have said it took 6 months for a discharge. So I think it depends on the court. When you receive your discharge, you will receive a letter discharging you and it will signed by the judge. Your credit report should update with discharged status shortly thereafter. Do not lose that slip of paper as if you apply for a home loan in the future, they will want to see that letter. If you lost and don't have it, you will have go on pacer.gov and pay to find the document in their system or request it from the court in person.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 4
mzware
Contributor

Hello, If you go to this website you can sign up and get your case information for free. https://www.13datacenter.com/ This could help you somewhat follow the status of your case until discharged.
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board

Message 3 of 4
mimsey11

Thank you for the replies. I have been to that website before, and In know my last payment was scheduled in June.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.