cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy falls off my credit report this year. Will score rise?

tag
ddemari
Super Contributor

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy falls off my credit report this year. Will score rise?

Hi, i am new to the forums and I am curious about my credit score once bankruptcy is removed from my report this November.

12 years ago, my mom with excellent credit added me as an authorized user to her Discover card with a 20k limit and never pays interest. When I turned 18, I was immediately approved for credits; amex blue 5k limit, then united visa 10k limit, amex gold and platinum cards ( which i did not default on or include in bankruptcy). By 19 i had nearly 60k in credit avallable to me and charged up 16k.

Yes, this was the time when credit was easy to get but totally irresonsible on my part. I was infatuated by credit cards and basically lost all control after one year. I filed ch 7 in dec 2004, made some small mistakes but have been dilgigent and in good standing for about 5 years.

Current Fico score is 680. I have a few cards combining to about 12k in limits and utilization is at 21%.
I plan to be credit card debt free by july.
Will the removal of bk help me or decrease my score? Goal in then next 12 months 750.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
policebox
Contributor

Re: Chapter 7 Bankruptcy falls off my credit report this year. Will score rise?

You will actually probably see a short-term drop in your score when the bankruptcy comes off due to rebucketing. After a few months then you should see your score rise substantially.

Message 2 of 3
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: Chapter 7 Bankruptcy falls off my credit report this year. Will score rise?

Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate your feedback. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.