Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?

My DH is going to file Ch 7 individually. Is he allowed to keep one cc?
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
granny031350
Established Contributor

Re: Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?

If it has a zero balance on the card then it does not need to be listed on his creditor matrix.  Now generally, the minute the card companies get wind of a bk filing they automatically shut down any accounts.  However some have been known to survive.  Hopefully this cc company doesn't check public records listings.  GL with it.
Message 2 of 23
MaraBlue

My attorney told me even zero balance accounts need to be included.
...my HTML is *not* invalid...
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My ex and I had to file Ch. 7 in 2004.  We included everything and then Sears showed up at the hearing and offerred us to keep the card open and cut the balance in 1/2.  So we owed like $1,000 on it and they then cut it to $500 and then allowed us to keep the card.

I've heard Sears does this because they woudl rather get *something* vs. nothing during a bankruptcy and it was 100% OUR choice to agree or not.  If we did not agree, it would have just been included in the bankruptcy.  And it did end up helping re-establishing credit again to some small degree.
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mara Blue - Your attorney is giving you bad info.  That is not true.  What is required is that you list ALL debts, even those to family and friends (if any).  If a credit card has a zero balance, that is NOT debt.

The other thing to remember is NOT to use any credit  cards from at least 90 days prior to your filing date until you are discharged.  That will get you in trouble if you do....
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boscoe wrote:
Mara Blue - Your attorney is giving you bad info.  That is not true.  What is required is that you list ALL debts, even those to family and friends (if any).  If a credit card has a zero balance, that is NOT debt.

The other thing to remember is NOT to use any credit  cards from at least 90 days prior to your filing date until you are discharged.  That will get you in trouble if you do....

My ex and I filed BK (reorganization) years and years ago. At the time, we had two secured cards. We were told that since the cards were secured, they were not really "debts" and we could omit them from the filing. We did; they survived; a couple years after BK was discharged, I dumped him and took him off the cards. ;-)  Some time later, the cards reverted to unsecured, I remarried, my scores are finally "good" to "excellent" and we are living happily ever after. heh
Message 6 of 23
MaraBlue

It's still an open line of credit, and therefore needs to be included in the filing.
...my HTML is *not* invalid...
Message 7 of 23
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

@MaraBlue wrote:
It's still an open line of credit, and therefore needs to be included in the filing.

Sorry, but that is SIMPLY WRONG!
Message 8 of 23
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

You may be able to maintain a "store" charge account that doesn't have a balance on it.

I held on to two retail cards during my BK mess.

No apps/new accts since 2011

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***
***FICO TRANSUNION 822***

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

That may have been true when you filed years and years ago, but the BK laws changed in OCT of 2005.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.