Reply
Member
chamblin70
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎12-30-2008
0

Re: Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?

The United States Bankruptcy Code states that you must include all debt.  If the card has a zero balance it does not have to be included, there is no debt.  Any debt owed, even if it is your great great granny has to be listed in the BK. As for keeping cards open, you can not in a chapter 13, a chapter 7 you might be able to work something out after the BK but most of the time the card issuer closes the accounts.
New Member
keem99
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎07-18-2014
0

Re: Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?

[ Edited ]

when i filled for chapter 7 my attorney actually charged me 10 bucks to pull my credit report and that is when he got all the creditors list to include in chapter 7 filling notification. Now, i got discharged in june 3 and some of my card got survived and i like to use them (for building my creditc back purpose). so some says okay to use as long as creditor doesnt pull your report, other says it would/may consider fraud.... well i guess i gotta ask this to a lawyer now. 

:smileysad:

Valued Contributor
ezdriver
Posts: 1,678
Registered: ‎08-24-2013
0

Re: Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?

[ Edited ]

keem99 wrote:

when i filled for chapter 7 my attorney actually charged me 10 bucks to pull my credit report and that is when he got all the creditors list to include in chapter 7 filling notification. Now, i got discharged in june 3 and some of my card got survived and i like to use them (for building my creditc back purpose). so some says okay to use as long as creditor doesnt pull your report, other says it would/may consider fraud.... well i guess i gotta ask this to a lawyer now. 

:smileysad:



That is exactly what my attorney did.

 

Incidently, for those holding a zero-balance card that survived a bankruptcy discharge and they believe they have a right to use, how about calling the creditor and verifying that you can legally use them? If you don't want to do that, I'm suggesting that you know how legally questionable the action would be. Go for it. Give it  a try. Remember that getting away with doing something does not make that action legal.

 



Starting Score: 618
Scores on 10/9/13: EFX 652, XPN 669, TUC 662
Scores on 3/17/14: EFX 649, XPN 677, TUC 681
Goal Score: 720 ALL


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
New Member
keem99
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎07-18-2014
0

Re: Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?

Okay this is really weird. ..i just called Amex and spoke with a representative. I asked him if my account needs to be closed, reaffirmed or good to use due to my recent bankruptcy? He said let me check. ..few minutes later he said my card is OK to use. I repeat it again that I had a bankruptcy doesn't that affects my accounts he said your account shows good to use you have bee with us 13 yrs...blah blah...
I am going to call them again. .this sounds to good to be true. ..
Valued Contributor
ezdriver
Posts: 1,678
Registered: ‎08-24-2013
0

Re: Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?


keem99 wrote:
Okay this is really weird. ..i just called Amex and spoke with a representative. I asked him if my account needs to be closed, reaffirmed or good to use due to my recent bankruptcy? He said let me check. ..few minutes later he said my card is OK to use. I repeat it again that I had a bankruptcy doesn't that affects my accounts he said your account shows good to use you have bee with us 13 yrs...blah blah...
I am going to call them again. .this sounds to good to be true. ..

Great. Now at least you have the creditor telling you that you can use it. Go buy yourself a nice steak dinner!



Starting Score: 618
Scores on 10/9/13: EFX 652, XPN 669, TUC 662
Scores on 3/17/14: EFX 649, XPN 677, TUC 681
Goal Score: 720 ALL


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
New Member
keem99
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎07-18-2014
0

Re: Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?

i am a vegetarian , i wont eat steak. its amazin how there are some many rulles and always some exceptions.

Valued Contributor
ezdriver
Posts: 1,678
Registered: ‎08-24-2013
0

Re: Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?


keem99 wrote:

i am a vegetarian , i wont eat steak. its amazin how there are some many rulles and always some exceptions.


Know that I just gave myself a dozen lashes with a hadful of wet noodles for my assumption that you love steak like I do. Now go buy yourself a nice meal of noodles! lol

 



Starting Score: 618
Scores on 10/9/13: EFX 652, XPN 669, TUC 662
Scores on 3/17/14: EFX 649, XPN 677, TUC 681
Goal Score: 720 ALL


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
ScoreBooster
Posts: 458
Registered: ‎05-30-2008
0

Re: Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?


ezdriver wrote:

 


That is exactly what my attorney did.

Incidently, for those holding a zero-balance card that survived a bankruptcy discharge and they believe they have a right to use, how about calling the creditor and verifying that you can legally use them? If you don't want to do that, I'm suggesting that you know how legally questionable the action would be. Go for it. Give it  a try. Remember that getting away with doing something does not make that action legal.


 

I assume we are talking about surviving accounts that had a $0-balance the day of filing. If so, there is absolutely nothing questionable about using these cards after BK. 

 

When no debt existed the day of filing, the accounts weren't involved in the BK in the first place. The debtor is responsible for all charges made to these accounts AFTER filing. I also don't understand why I should consider myself lucky in "getting away" with using AND paying a credit-card.

 

In addition to that, it would probably take me the rest of the day to list all the inaccurate information I obtained over the years by so-called "customer service representatives" over the phone - so I would certainly not take anything they tell me for granted. In a legal dispute, I couldn't prove it in the first place.

 

So in 9 out of 10 times, calling a creditor about such an account will very likely result in account-closure - and that's about it.

Frequent Contributor
ScoreBooster
Posts: 458
Registered: ‎05-30-2008
0

Re: Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?


keem99 wrote:

other says it would/may consider fraud.... well i guess i gotta ask this to a lawyer now. 

:smileysad:


 

Don't worry - you're good to go. It would be fraud if you would try to get rid if debt occured after filing and claiming that it was part of your BK-debt. THAT is fraud. 

Wilfully not listing debt? A no-go. Not listing accounts with $0-Balances? That's actually the law because it is impossible to file an accurate BK-petition that contains $0-accounts.

 

Obtaining debt after filing and paying it - perfectly legal.:smileywink:

Valued Contributor
ezdriver
Posts: 1,678
Registered: ‎08-24-2013
0

Re: Chapter 7: Can you keep a credit card?


ScoreBooster wrote:

ezdriver wrote:

 


That is exactly what my attorney did.

Incidently, for those holding a zero-balance card that survived a bankruptcy discharge and they believe they have a right to use, how about calling the creditor and verifying that you can legally use them? If you don't want to do that, I'm suggesting that you know how legally questionable the action would be. Go for it. Give it  a try. Remember that getting away with doing something does not make that action legal.


 

I assume we are talking about surviving accounts that had a $0-balance the day of filing. If so, there is absolutely nothing questionable about using these cards after BK. 

 

When no debt existed the day of filing, the accounts weren't involved in the BK in the first place. The debtor is responsible for all charges made to these accounts AFTER filing. I also don't understand why I should consider myself lucky in "getting away" with using AND paying a credit-card.

 

In addition to that, it would probably take me the rest of the day to list all the inaccurate information I obtained over the years by so-called "customer service representatives" over the phone - so I would certainly not take anything they tell me for granted. In a legal dispute, I couldn't prove it in the first place.

 

So in 9 out of 10 times, calling a creditor about such an account will very likely result in account-closure - and that's about it.


My assumption is that you actually filed a bankruptcy petition right? I did.

 

One way or the other, the creditors will know about the bankruptcy filing. Bottom line is that it is up to the creditor to decide whether ot cancel or leave active any zero-balance credit card subsequent to a bankruptcy discharge. Thank the creditor if the TL remains active and useable. The "fine print" in some credit card agreements state that the account becomes inactive if the account holder files for bankruptcy. After my ch7 disharge, I tried to use two of my zero-balance cards [Wells Fargo and Cap1] and found that they were cancelled automatically when I filed. Like others here, I too assumed that they were available for my use so I did not call the creditors until my charges were declined. YMMV.

 



Starting Score: 618
Scores on 10/9/13: EFX 652, XPN 669, TUC 662
Scores on 3/17/14: EFX 649, XPN 677, TUC 681
Goal Score: 720 ALL


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+