Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7 Discharge

tag
AtlantaWill30339
New Contributor

Chapter 7 Discharge

Hi,  I'm curious how long it took before everyone's discharge showed on their CRs. I didn't receive notice from my attorney that I had been discharged 2/14...I even pulled my myfico TU and EX yesterday and didn't notice any difference until today when I updated on creditkarma and zendough, thats when I saw the discharge. Also, does anyone have any tips on what to do to begin rebuilding credit? I was able to open a Orchard Bank card last month and the only thing else showing on my CRs is my student loans @39k. My trustee must have felt serious pity for me as I started with 85k in student loans (39 federal, 8 perkins, and the rest in private) that they discharged the bulk of them. My previous total debt was 119k @ age 25...I can't even count how many bad choices I used to make with my credit.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
carolina98
Contributor

Re: Chapter 7 Discharge

This is really amazing to me! How did you get these student loans off?! Did you ask? Everything I've read plus  heard from two attorneys is there's no way to get rid of  student loan debt in BK unless you're disabled. Also, I was told, they might discharge some of them if you're of retirement age.

I have $60K in student loan and expect to walk out of BK with that debt intact.

You're the first I've heard of this happening to. Would you care to share more?

Message 2 of 5
AtlantaWill30339
New Contributor

I've asked my attorney and he doesn't really have an answer...but there are a few possible reasons why. I have been out of school for about 3 years and busted my butt to make payments while in school and after. 6 months after graduation I relocated to another state and had bad luck like everyone else--I was unemployed for over a year. Even with being under deferment or economic hardship, whatever extra money my parents sent to help me with bills I paid towards SLs. Once I finally found work I was out of deferment and the 3 loan companies I had private SLs with did NOT want to work with me. I had my federal and 25k of private loans with Citibank, a perkins with a small bank that my school worked with, and the remainder of private loans with Sallie Mae. Citibank and Sallie Mae ganged up on me raising the interest to 9-16.5%, minimum payments went from $280 a month for all loans to well over $800.

A few weeks before I filed bk, I pulled my federal loans from Citibank with a government consolidation loan to atleast get those back under 5% interest. A month after filing, Sallie Mae folded--I tried to log in to make a payment, but had a message to call in. I called and they said my loans had been "terminated." I let my attorney know and he said that during the process, it's normal for some places to not accept a payment. In December, I received a letter saying my loans with Sallie Mae and for the perkins loan were "discharged." In early January, I received paperwork from Citibank saying the same for my private loans...My attorney and I didn't get it, because we knew the case was still open and I hadn't received a discharge notice yet.

After the actual discharge, my CRs show Sallie Mae as "Paid/Terminated", and my perkins loan and Citibank show "Paid/Satisfied, Included in Bankruptcy...so the only debt I still owe is the 39k federal consolidation.

Here are a few things that stood out in the whole filing process:

Prior to filing I sent numerous letters, emailed, and called the SL lenders for ANY help--interest reduction, smaller payment, graduated payment, extended payment, etc...and even with paying all on time while in school and during deferment they didn't care that I could no longer keep up with the bigger payments. The documents I sent to them and their responses were included in my filing.

2 weeks after filing, somehow Citibank got me garnished (and I was CURRENT). They pulled $603 out of my checks for 3 pay periods, but eventually I received a check back from the bk court for $1800--still no clue where my $9 went.

My 341 meeting (was on 11/19) was longer than most. My trustee asked me in detail about my student loan payments, my previous payment history, length of unemployment. We spoke for about 25 minutes, whereas the people before me were only asked 5-10 questions and were out in 5 minutes or less.

My attorney is apparently the largest bk filer in Georgia, but NEVER had a case where student loans were discharged until now. I'm not disabled. At the time when I was unemployed I was on gov't assistance (food stamps). He doesn't have a real answer other than I'm seriously blessed.

Message 3 of 5
AtlantaWill30339
New Contributor

Sorry..I hope I didn't ramble too much.

Message 4 of 5
carolina98
Contributor

Wow, you are seriously blessed!  It's great you had all that documentation to show all you had done to work with SL lenders and that they had refused, and all the screwups you encountered with lenders. Maybe the trustee was as appalled by the lenders' handling of  your loans as any normal person would be and  felt that you should get some compensation for the difficulties you had  and that the lenders should be penalized. That's reasonable, though apparently highly unusual.

There's an amazing story this week in the Chronicle of Higher Education that talks about people who are documented to be disabled and have student loans and the Dept. of Education is garnishing their social security disability checks. It's horrifying.  Lots of documentation in the story that shows ed. dept. is totally, ineptly mishandling cases, and these totally disabled people are paying the price. This is happening in the tens of thousands I hope Congress steps in and does something, just as the trustee stepped up in your case.( see this shocking story on student loans on the credit in the news forum here on fico.). I'm glad things worked out for you as they did.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.