Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 & Stopping a Repossession - Please Help

tag
ProudMomof5
Contributor

Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 & Stopping a Repossession - Please Help

Good Afternoon Everyone...

I am filing for bankruptcy tomorrow.  I'm not quite sure if I'm doing a 7 or 13 because of a current situation I'm in.  I originally planned to do a chapter 7 and just get a fresh start but I don't know if I'll be able to because of my car.  Here's the deal, my car note fell behind by three months.  The company called me with an offer saying if I pay at least half of it they'll remove a 30 day late and it'll only put me at 60.  Well he didn't do that, they took my payment but he didn't do what he said.  So I called in a few weeks ago to make a payment and the lady told me she couldn't take my payment because it was the full amount.  My car note is $447 and I was trying to pay $300 so she didn't take it.  So I called last weekend to make the payment but the office was closed both times when I called Saturday and Sunday.  I called them Monday and the lady tells me they no longer have my account.  My account was officially closed on July 31st and the only options I have is to pay the remaining balance which is still alot or return the car because it's already out for repossession.  So I hang up on her because at one point she was getting very rude.  I called back and spoke to a young man who told me I had those same two options but I had a third which is pay all of the fees I owe.  But the amount he quoted me wasn't for my late payments.  So since I already had to file bankruptcy this week I decided I'm gonna file and keep the car because I've been paying on it for 4 years.  My only concern and question is can I file a chapter 7 and still keep my car and keep them from repossessing it or do I have to file a chapter 13.  I read somewhere that if you file a chapter 13 it can get the price of the car down because I think my car is probably only worth $5,000 versus what they say I still owe which is over $10,000.  

Has anybody ever experienced this and if so what was your outcome?  Did anyone file a chapter 13 with a car on there and get the payment down?  If so by how much?  I really need some type of insights.

Thanks in advance,

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.