cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7..what do I do now? (Car loan, NFCU)

tag
Dianamarie1013
Valued Member

Chapter 7..what do I do now? (Car loan, NFCU)

Okay, so I finally got the bankruptcy 341 meeting out of the way on May 20th. Now I have a few questions. I have read a lot of posts, but wanted to get specific answers to my questions.

I have one car that I kept which I actually got lucky with only 900 left on it and it's paid off. It had both mine and my husbands name on it. See what happened was I owed 3k on it. They sold it to another car company but I hadn't made a payment to the new loan company and the bankruptcy went through..so I guess my original one had to buy it back. They are such a small company that they didn't have a lot of records on it, and they said they bought it for 1200. I was so excited and couldn't believe my luck..I hope the rest of this process is this forgiving!!

So now that I know that my car will be paid off before the bankruptcy is even discharged, we are desperate for another car. I'm actually using a loaner from our in laws. So I need to wait for the discharge, correct? And who is the best to get a car loan through? I'm so tired of outrageous interest fees. I do have a NFCU membership, but haven't kept money in it because I was afraid of collectors getting ahold of it. My husband does have his paycheck deposited into his, but no money in the savings. We would have two cars that are in good standing, one paid off with perfect payments that my husband cosigned, and the one above that has 2 30 days, but perfect besides that. And two reposessions. One in his name and one in mine. Any advice in what range we should stay in? We need an SUV and I was thinking around 12k that way no matter how high the interest we can still afford payments.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be specific. Also should the first card i get be from NFCU, I'm guessing a secured...not sure what their qualifications are. Thanks!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Chapter 7..what do I do now? (Car loan, NFCU)

You can apply for NFCU unsecured and they will counter offer secured if you dont qualify, win win! The other things hopefully someone else will chime in for you

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 5
USF813
Frequent Contributor

I got a secured loan with NFCU a couple months ago, and it reports as secured on all three credit reports. It is not included in the installment account section of any of them. Not sure it's helping my score so i'm probably going to just go ahead and pay it off.

Message 3 of 5
Dianamarie1013
Valued Member

I'd really like to know if anyone has any luck getting an auto loan through nfcu fresh out of bankruptcy...or if I should try the dealer and refinance?

Message 4 of 5
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Dianamarie1013 wrote:

I'd really like to know if anyone has any luck getting an auto loan through nfcu fresh out of bankruptcy...or if I should try the dealer and refinance?

You and I have our sights on the same thing! My plan is to wait until I am 1yr post discharge to apply with NFCU, thankfuly I have a honda we bought with cash to hold me over. I have only READ that they like six months of history, and preferably on a auto loan. I dont know how true this is because I have only seen this online. Keep us updated with the results please! Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.