Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chapter 7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chapter 7

I'm a stay at home mom with 2 small children 20,000 in credit card debt and can't get ahead. All the cards are in my name except the bank account is joint. Will that affect my husband at all if I file chapter 7?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
kuku4koco
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chapter 7

No.  When I filed in 2010, it didn't affect my husband at all.  We had everything separate (cc's, & bank accounts).  You might want to move your money to another account... one of the first clues that I needed to file was when a creditor tried to seize(d) money from one of my bank accounts.  Luckily, I had 2.  I got the money back after the BK, but it could tie you up until then, and you have 2 kids to think about. 

Best Wishes!! Smiley Wink

EQ: 731 TU: 705 EX: 715

Cap1 QS: 9k USBank: 7k Amex BCE: 14.1k BoA: 8k Discover: 4.4k CareCredit: 12k *Various Store Cards: 18.7k
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have any money it's all his it's a joint bank account but it's only his paychecks that are put in there for the house bills which again are all in just his name..
Message 3 of 11
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

It should have no effect on him whatsoever other than the checking account
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 11
kuku4koco
Frequent Contributor

Your best bet would be to get your name off that account.

EQ: 731 TU: 705 EX: 715

Cap1 QS: 9k USBank: 7k Amex BCE: 14.1k BoA: 8k Discover: 4.4k CareCredit: 12k *Various Store Cards: 18.7k
Message 5 of 11
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Actually, probably close it completely, and have him reopen one in his name only

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it depends on whether your state is a community property state or not. My husband and I were advised by our attorney to file BK jointlly because we live in a community property state, and the creditors would likely come after him for the debt if I filed alone. All of the CC debt was in my name, and we have no joint bank accounts, etc.

Message 7 of 11
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Definitely get your name off of the account. Even if all the money in it is provable as his your name being on the account means a lein of yours can affect it.
Message 8 of 11
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

My recommendation:  Before you start taking your name off of a joint account, before you start closing accounts, before you start moving money, please talk to an attorney.

Des.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@despritfreya wrote:

My recommendation:  Before you start taking your name off of a joint account, before you start closing accounts, before you start moving money, please talk to an attorney.

Des.

+1

Definitely get legal advice. ☺

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.