Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off reporting

tag
Horrace36
New Contributor

Re: Charge off reporting

Prior to BK filing it stays on. Post BK filing it should not be reporting.

Message 11 of 18
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

If it is in the payment history that you are referencing, again, that is not 100% correct.

If you were 30/60 days late prior to filing, the creditor is legally allowed to report the cadence of 90/120/CO in the payment history of your credit report.  So long as the TL is showing a zero balance and IIB, the creditor is within their rights.  Believe it or not, after 120 days late, the creditors have to charge off the debt from a financial reporting perspective.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 12 of 18
Horrace36
New Contributor

Fair enough but I was never late prior to bk.

Message 13 of 18
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Horrace - that is the missing piece of the puzzle.  If you were current when you filed (and not missed your most recent payment), then yes, you might have a claim here.  

I am curious - is it only Experian that is reporting this?  Trans Union and Equifax are known to delete payment history when you file...

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 14 of 18
Horrace36
New Contributor

In fact it is only Experian - The other two CRAs have cleaned-up the reports. 

Message 15 of 18
Horrace36
New Contributor

Re: Charge off reporting - Update

Between my last post and today, the FTC/Lovern argument has carried the day in having post bk filing delinquencies and charge-offs deleted. I'm sure the fact that two of the banks are subject to a series of rulings from Judge Drain in the Southern District of New York that were debtor friendly helped. Take a look at the beginning of this chain for further info. 

Message 16 of 18
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Horrace36 wrote:

Between my last post and today, the FTC/Lovern argument has carried the day in having post bk filing delinquencies and charge-offs deleted. I'm sure the fact that two of the banks are subject to a series of rulings from Judge Drain in the Southern District of New York that were debtor friendly helped. Take a look at the beginning of this chain for further info. 

Did you have to dispute, or are the lenders voluntarily complying with the court ruling?

EX is my problem CRA as well, TU & EQ show all $0 bal, IIB, never late, while EX shows 25 total lates, 14 of them 90+ late, and any 90 day late is well after I filed. A couple actually report Closed the month I filed, and then ressumed 90-120 late & CO after that. In my dispute I asked how can an account be Closed and then late after that, and EX just responded "Verified".  I just checked & no change.. But my EX score is near my TU & EQ range, just over 700, I think it's because the impact of those lates is less after 4+ years.

Message 17 of 18
Horrace36
New Contributor

I filed a dispute with the CFPB. The court rulings were on motions not a final judgment.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.