Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check your credit after filing a bankruptcy

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Check your credit after filing a bankruptcy

It is very important that you check your credit after you file a bankruptcy. If on the filing day all your accounts are current with no late payments, then the trade line involved in the public record has to reflect that. So make sure that your credit profile shows no lates or past due. A past due amount will trigger a late payment. I just went recently through this. Now if you were late and not current then there is nothing that you can do about it.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
jmclaughlin1982
Established Member

Re: Check your credit after filing a bankruptcy

Thanks for the good advice CreditBob! It is important for people to understand that if you have something that is not included in the BK and you have never been late it should show as such. If you have a 0 balance that account will not be filed in your BK. An account that has a balance will be included in your BK and will show as IIB. The only thing I would caution is that it often takes a few days after DC for all accounts to be marked as such. If you check too early you could get a wrong impression of what your credit report looks like.
I'd wait until after the 341 and check reports then, that gives you an idea and a baseline. Then check again about 2 weeks after DC. My lawyer told me to give the agencies 30 days to update all accounts. It only took 2 weeks and all reports were updated as 0 balance and IIB.
I think this is what you were getting at, did I interpret your statement correctly?
BK7 filed 3/23/2016 DC 6/20/2016

Current Credit
Ally Auto-$17000| Credit Builder Loan-$1000| Secured Loan-$1000| Cap 1 Secured-$400| Kohl's-$300| Milestone-$300| Gettington/Webbank-$500

AU- Chase Freedom-$500| Cap 1 QS-$500| Amex-$2000| Walmart-$910| Target Card-$300| Kohl's-$300| Credit 1-$300
Message 2 of 3
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Re: Check your credit after filing a bankruptcy

It also includes the trade lines that are included in bankruptcy.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.