Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chp 13 Discharge Process

tag
drboxing
Established Contributor

Re: Chp 13 Discharge Process

Thanks for update, I'm almost done, last payment 1/28/2013, so I guess. Should have discharge papers around feb or March 2013. I've reestablished credit 5 all with very low balances, so I should be in good shape for auto loan. Thankful it's almost over

Message 11 of 37
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@luvmeirahbug wrote:

*Update* I heard from my lawyer.  I'm not sure if this is a YMMV situation or not. I was told that the process will go as follows for me--

Trustee's office will audit the case, contact creditors to make sure the balances paid match trustee records.  Lastly, they would send some paperwork to my lawyer's office for me to sign.  Lawyer sends these documents back to the trustee and discharge papers would be finalized.  Process should be finished by next month. 

Yep that is just the way mine went as well.

I was so worried because of all the nightmare stories I've heard about Chapter 13.  This is a nervewrecking process to endure for 3-5 yrs.  I'm just glad my time is coming to an end and the leash of the trustee will be off my neck.   

NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 Smiley Happy
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Message 12 of 37
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@luvmeirahbug wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

@luvmeirahbug wrote:

*Update* I heard from my lawyer.  I'm not sure if this is a YMMV situation or not. I was told that the process will go as follows for me--

Trustee's office will audit the case, contact creditors to make sure the balances paid match trustee records.  Lastly, they would send some paperwork to my lawyer's office for me to sign.  Lawyer sends these documents back to the trustee and discharge papers would be finalized.  Process should be finished by next month. 

I was so worried because of all the nightmare stories I've heard about Chapter 13.  This is a nervewrecking process to endure for 3-5 yrs.  I'm just glad my time is coming to an end and the leash of the trustee will be off my neck.   

I know right?  It is like nail bitting time waiting and waiting.  You would think after all of the years a Ch13 candidate endours in the court process that they would be more pro-active at closing out cases.  It will drive you nuts until you see the discharge papers.  Do you check pacer frequently?

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 13 of 37
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

@drboxing wrote:

Thanks for update, I'm almost done, last payment 1/28/2013, so I guess. Should have discharge papers around feb or March 2013. I've reestablished credit 5 all with very low balances, so I should be in good shape for auto loan. Thankful it's almost over

Keep holding on, drboxing.  1/28/2013 will be here before you know it.  I received permission to purchase a car from my trustee about a year ago.  Have you considered that at all or do you prefer to wait it out?  Also, what is credit 5?

NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Message 14 of 37
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@luvmeirahbug wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

@luvmeirahbug wrote:

I know right?  It is like nail bitting time waiting and waiting.  You would think after all of the years a Ch13 candidate endours in the court process that they would be more pro-active at closing out cases.  It will drive you nuts until you see the discharge papers.  Do you check pacer frequently?

No, I have no idea what that is.

Message 15 of 37
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Pacer. gov

That is where you can check all of the filings of your case.  You set up an account and yes it asks for a CC to charge you.  BUT....the allow you so much free and in the 5 years I had my 13, I think I got one bill for 10 bucks.  Each page you look at is like .10 cents or whatever.  

I login to see what if anything is going on with my case.  What I do is click the button that says status first and look at that date to see when the last filing was.  If there was nothing recent from the last time I logged in then I don't bother looking anymore.  Remember each document is at least 5 or 10 cents.  

MANY and I mean MANY people have seen their discharge on the site before they even received it in the mail.  It has been very handy for me in keeping up with what was going on with my case.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 16 of 37
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

Pacer. gov

That is where you can check all of the filings of your case.  You set up an account and yes it asks for a CC to charge you.  BUT....the allow you so much free and in the 5 years I had my 13, I think I got one bill for 10 bucks.  Each page you look at is like .10 cents or whatever.  

I login to see what if anything is going on with my case.  What I do is click the button that says status first and look at that date to see when the last filing was.  If there was nothing recent from the last time I logged in then I don't bother looking anymore.  Remember each document is at least 5 or 10 cents.  

MANY and I mean MANY people have seen their discharge on the site before they even received it in the mail.  It has been very handy for me in keeping up with what was going on with my case.

I had no idea I could do that!! I'm going to sign up!  Thanks Rhaeny!

Message 17 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi luvmeirahbug, I hope to be getting my discharge letter soon. My last payments were sent out by my trustee 1 Sep 12, so as of that date, my balance due was $0.00. My attorney and trustee told me that I have to keep making my monthly payments until I receive my letter. I waited until the last minute to send in the Sep payment, which I mailed last week. As of right now I have a balance on hand of $1300, which I will get back, but I really don't have an extra $465 per month for the next however long it takes them to close out my account. Frustrating. The trustee in Ohio said 3-4 months. One of my freinds said to consider it a Christmas club and cross my fingers I get it back before the end of the year. I hate waiting....

Message 18 of 37
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi luvmeirahbug, I hope to be getting my discharge letter soon. My last payments were sent out by my trustee 1 Sep 12, so as of that date, my balance due was $0.00. My attorney and trustee told me that I have to keep making my monthly payments until I receive my letter. I waited until the last minute to send in the Sep payment, which I mailed last week. As of right now I have a balance on hand of $1300, which I will get back, but I really don't have an extra $465 per month for the next however long it takes them to close out my account. Frustrating. The trustee in Ohio said 3-4 months. One of my freinds said to consider it a Christmas club and cross my fingers I get it back before the end of the year. I hate waiting....

that makes no sense....some states really do what they want--no matter how unfair the practice is.  I received another letter from the trustee stating my plan has been completed and the payments are complete pending auditing of my case.  I am not required to keep paying until I receive my discharge paperwork.  I'm sorry you have to go through that, OhioChick. Smiley Sad

Message 19 of 37
Sha80
New Contributor

Hi luvmeirahbug

I filed Chapter 13 June 1998. I made my last payment February 2012. Somehow my account was not recognized as paid in full because I was not due for final payment till June of 2013. After 3 months of awaiting on the funds to be disbursed, I contacted the trustee's office to see what was the delay. Final payments were sent out 3 weeks after that & I was told I would receive my discharge papers in 60 to 90 days. Again my paperwork was overlooked & I was not officially discharged until October 2012 after contacting the trustees office to inquire about the delay. It gets frustrating but continue to call and ask questions. Good luck to you.

Starting Score: EQ: 605 (10/21/2012) Trans/Walmart: 641(10/26/2012)
Current Score: EQ: 678 (4/9/13) Trans/Walmart: 693 (5/13/13) EX: 648 (4/10/13) Lender pull

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.