Did you mean: 

Chp 13 Discharge Process

tag
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

Re: Chp 13 Discharge Process

@Rhaeny wrote:

@luvmeirahbug wrote:

Just updating this thread, since I've done so much griping lately!! I got my DISCHARGE today!!!!! Smiley Very Happy 

I just logged in today and there it was!  Very special thanks to Rhaeny for informing me about pacer.  Pacer changed my life!! 

Hey Luvmeirahbug.....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't it a wonderful feeling?  The feeling of total relief from this bondage and scrutinization is undescribable but certainly more than welcome!

So what are you going to do now with your new life since this is behind you Smiley Happy

I'm buying a HOUSE!!!! Smiley Very Happy

NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 Smiley Happy
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Message 31 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just paid off my Chapter 13 early by 11 months on a 5 year plan.  Brutal process - in that time, I got married and had 2 kids.  Needless to say, I'm happy to get my life back.  

I'm trying to buy a house at the end of March since the housing market is starting to get hot again (at least where I live it is).  I had the money to pay the full amount off in January of 2013 but I was incorrect about the final payoff amount.  Long story short - I didn't get the full amount paid until 2.5.13  I did not realize (until it was too late) that the Trustee holds all the money until the end of the month (I'm sure they are making money on the interest), and then sends out the final disbursement at the end of the month (fair warning to anyone in my predicament).  

Based on my conversations with my lawyer and the trustee, once the final disbursement is made (in my case it should be 2/28/13), then the trustee will perform an audit of the case to make sure everyone got paid.  It's been hard to get a straight answer from my lawyer or my trustee but from what I've been able to gleen from their cryptic code, there is a good chance I should have my discharge before the end of March.  My closing date is March 29, 2013!  I am so stressed out by this because I have no control over the situation and nobody else involved seems to care (which is understandable, I guess).  

My plan is to call the trustee and my lawyer often in March to get status updates on the case.   I am sick my stomach because I have a feeling Murphy's Law will be in full effect in my situation and I will get the discharge a day after we lose the house because the discharge was delayed for some frivolous reason (i.e.. The court clerk took a smoke break during my case discharge and the paperwork got accidentally destroyed when the Judge spilled his coffee on the final discharge papers).  I know that I'm being OCD about the whole process but it is just my nature. 

Any heartwarming stories about your Chapter 13 discharge experience are highly encouraged here!  

Thanks,

Ethan

Message 32 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to mention that this website will allow you to see the current status of your case/payments with the Trustee:

https://www.13datacenter.com/

In addition to PACER (which I have not used), you can go to directly to your regional bankruptcy court's website to sign up for electronic communication about your case (instead of having to wait for snail mail).  http://www.pacer.gov/psco/cgi-bin/links.pl    I am signing up for this today and will update this with what happens.

I will let you all know what happens with my situation.  

Message 33 of 37
drboxing
Established Contributor

What was the time span for you receiving your discharge paper

Message 34 of 37
fabfefe
New Visitor

Hello all! I too am waiting on my discharge papers. I filed in 2009 and I just received my completion papers from my trustee a few weeks ago. I also learned of pacer through this group, and have been checking it. Smiley Frustrated I am trying to be patient but OMG. Everything has been filed and all it says is  "Motion for discharge" "Awaiting hearing." Everything was done on 2.19.13. I called my lawyer, and all she says is; " Everything that needs to be done has been, any day now." Seem like the courts are taking forever. I am in AL Smiley LOL so that says a lot. Oh dear GOD please get me through this!

Message 35 of 37
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

Fabfefe- the wait was the most agonizing part for me. It took much longer than I expected but they will come. Seems like the avg is around 3 months or so.
NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 Smiley Happy
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Message 36 of 37
fabfefe
New Visitor

Hi! Yes, I feel as though I'm being punished. I've done what I had to do, and the creditors have their money according to my plan. Geez can I get my papers?!? The wait probaly wouldn't be as bad; if I didn't NEED a car. Oh well guess I have no choice other than to wait. Thanks for helping me through the process.
Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.