Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clear to Close on Mortgage, Just Past 2 Years

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Clear to Close on Mortgage, Just Past 2 Years

I appreciate all the insight from this forum. It really has helped ever since we made the tough decision to declare Chapter 7. I wanted to post our story, maybe its relevant to others. 

In 2010, we were doing pretty well. Very little debt, 720+ credit scores, great jobs. Good savings. I was approached by an acquaintance (not really a friend) with a business opportunity. At first I was reluctant, but over the next few weeks, it kept creeping in the back of my mind. I'd tell myself that it was too much risk, but then I would run spreadsheets calculating potential. I can say it now, I got greedy, and emptied my savings and invested into a small business venture. 

At first, I had planned for it to be passive. But during the honeymoon period of the new venture, things were going pretty well, so I quit my job to focus on the business full time. In the fall of 2011, my business partner's wife got a job three hours away and announced that he would be moving. He asked for me to buy him out. I couldnt quite buy him out all the way, but I took my 401k from the job that I had left and bought him down to a 15% equity. 

During the summer of 2012, it was very evident that the business was starting to go south. Having no credit card debt and solid credit, credit was easy to find. I floated business expenses on credit cards so that I could make payroll. I basically stopped taking a salary in order to keep things going, which led to more personal debt. A year later, the three year lease was coming up. I called my business partner to discuss not renewing the lease and closing shop. I found out that he had taken out $50k in debt against the business and not told me. Even though his stake had been bought down, he still had equal responsibility on the loans associated with the business.

He declared Chapter 7 immediately. I met with the bank that held the SBA loan to see what my options were. With an SBA guarantee, they were not interested in me signing an unsecured note. I declared Chapter 7 personally, reaffirmed my mortgage and took a new job in my former career field within about a month during the summer of 2013. I was able to breathe again, and start the route to recovery. 

My wife was extremely supportive during the whole ordeal. She had signed onto the business loans so she was affected as well. A supportive spouse was the key. I had all the feelings of embarassment, failure, etc. But our attorney assured us that it was likely no one would ever know - its not like the general public logs on to PACER. The only problem that we had planned to move to a better school district for our daughter to start kindergarten. We knew we would not be able to purchase a home for at least two years (the FHA Back to Work deal is crap, no one knows anyone that has successfully done it). Last year, we sold our home that we reaffirmed and moved into a rental home to get her started in the right school district. 

Our discharge date was 11/22/13. On 11/7/15, we were approved for a portfolio loan (3.625%)  and an FHA loan (3.5% +PMI, made it through automated underwriting even) provided we did not close until after 11/22/13. Yesterday we received the clear to close, and we will close around 12/11 on our dream home. We chose the portfolio loan even though its a 5/1 ARM. We'll look to refinance sometime between thr four year mark and the end of the 5 years. Its a gamble, but factoring in the PMI, the break even interest rate is 5.5%.

Both of our high credit scores were 712, my middle score was 699 and hers was 695. So 700 two years after Chapter 7 is possible. I was probably high on inquiries or it could be higher.  We have about $54,000 in open credit. While I miss my AMEX and the benefits, Capital One has been good to us, as well as our local credit union (both have five figure credit limits). We have Barclays cards, and of course we had to start with the CreditOne/Merrick Bank crap. In fact, CreditOne charged me the annual fee last week and I happily canceled it. Hope this helps someone! I'll be happy to answer any questions about our process. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Clear to Close on Mortgage, Just Past 2 Years

Thanks for sharing your story! Nicely done!
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Great to see a success story. Gives those of us not quite there yet some hope.

Message 3 of 8
westo12
Established Contributor

VERY helpful, encouraging and motivating!! Thank you for sharing your story. Smiley Happy

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

As I look back, I think one of the keys was my relationship with a local credit union. The day I discharged, I walked in and took out a $2500 secured loan, and paid it back within three months and repeated. My scores went from the 540 range to 650 in six months. 

Both my wife and I received CreditOne offers (as well as many more with extremely high annual fees), and we took them with the $35 annual fee. Charged a lunch or something, let it hit the statement and paid it off. About April of 2014, I received a pre-approved Capital One offer - applied and received a $3500 Quicksilver One and a $3000 Platinum. Was able to get annual fee waived on both with a phone call. 

Repeated the same on my wife, and was only able to get half off of the annual fees. When the one year anniversary hit and the annual fees charged again, was able to upgrade to no-annual fee Quicksilver and Ventures. We used my card for everything, and I received CLI to $5000 and $7500. My wife's have only a modest CLI, but again, we really havent used them. 

Local credit union approved us for $1500 credit card right after the two secured loans were paid off. CLI to $5000, then to $10,000. After receiving the upgrade to cards that allowed me to have more than two Capital One accounts - applied for Spark card and was approved with a $15,000 limit. We each have a Barclays account and a couple of store cards. I have been usuccesful in obtaining AMEX, Chase, BoA, or Discover products. 

As far as the mortgage, it was pretty straighjtforward. Everyone we talked to said two years. I had put a contact in a few months ago, and he called me a month before the discharge and said start looking. We found something, and on 11/7 put in application. The only conditions we had were no close until post 11/22, which we expected. My experience is to work with smaller community banks and credit unions, instead of the big banks. They have seemed more forgiving. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats, and thanks for sharing.
Message 6 of 8
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new house !!!

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 7 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations OP, excellent rebuild and I hope you are enjoying your new home!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.