Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-signer in a Discharged account

tag
culture
Regular Contributor

Co-signer in a Discharged account

Hello Everyone,

I gathering some information to better understand this situation. I gave my signature to a family member for a loan, 3 years ago.  Without letting me know they went bankrup,and in the process they garanteed that debt. ( i'm not sure but I think that means that the particular debt is going to get paid in full and not a negociated part) 

Anyway in the process of of declaring bankrupcy they incurred in a 60day late on the account , plus now it appears in my report as Debt included in or discharged through Bankruptcy Chapter 13

There are 2 situations that I'm trying to understand, First if the info is not reported correctly, because recently I tried to get a CLI from Amex and the response for declining was that I had a bankrupcy in my file. Do they think I declared bankrupcy ,  can this be fixed?

The other part is that the debt will be completly paid in 1 more payment,  is there a posibility ( or someone here has the experience or similar situation)  that I can call the institution and ask to be removed since the debt was paid. as a good will request ?

I know it was my fault for making that decision but it was the kind of hit I needed to learn how to say no. even to close family. 

This is only affecting me in Experian,  but I'm afraid of how this is going to take a toll on me when is time to buy a new house, which I see doing in less than 2 years.

any advice or past experience are welcome.....

wall of text/10 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Co-signer in a Discharged account

As a co-borrower who has not filed bankruptcy, that debt should continue to be reported on your reports but not the "included in bankruptcy" part. You should contact the credit reporting agencies and request that they remove the bankruptcy part from your credit reports. Regarding the late payments, you are equally responsible for that.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.