Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection accounts on CR after discharge

tag
redneck18
Contributor

Collection accounts on CR after discharge

I have two collection accounts showing on my reports. One is on TU only, it show IIB, zero balance, but open. Shouldn't this say closed?

The other collection is reported in EX & EQ. On EX it shows IIB, zero balance, closed, but shows a late payment in April 2016. Should the late payment be disputed? If so, for what reason?

Same account on EQ show zero balance, IIB, but show open. Again should this show closed?

Thanks for responses.
4 REPLIES 4
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Collection accounts on CR after discharge

Yes, both those accounts should show closed, but the open status really doesn't hurt anything, the $0 balance & IIB are the important things.

If you were indeed late in April 2016 they can report that, as long as it was before you filed, they can't report a late after you filed.

Message 2 of 5
redneck18
Contributor

I didn't think collection agencies could report late payments as there is no "payment arrangement"?
Message 3 of 5
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@redneck18 wrote:
I didn't think collection agencies could report late payments as there is no "payment arrangement"?

Sure they can, collection agencies are actually more agressive in reporting lates. When a collection agency purchases a debt or is assigned authoritty to collect the original "payment arrangement" is transferred to them.

Message 4 of 5
redneck18
Contributor

If that's the case then it's very strange the only late they decided to report was the month I filed.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.