cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections overwhelming, FICO score low.. bankruptcy or attempt DV letters?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections overwhelming, FICO score low.. bankruptcy or attempt DV letters?

I'm 24 years old now, and made some serious mistakes when I was 19 and 20. I obtained 18 different credit cards, all which are maxed out. I stopped making payments on them over a year ago, now all of them are charged off and transferred to collections. I read that I could mail out debt validation letters and it may or may not cause the collection agencies to go away and/or not respond therefore removing them off the credit report. My FICO score is 409 right now.. compared to 728 in mid 2007. I'm completely, and entirely, lost. I am trying to move out in my own apartment but that's totally out of the question. I've heard debt settlement isn't the greatest of ideas, so I was leaning towards bankruptcy. The SOL doesn't expire on these accounts for another 2-3 years. I understand bankruptcy is on the report for 10 years, but I've also read people rebuilding credit fairly quickly after filing. To be honest, I haven't a clue what to do. I appreciate deeply all advice given, it truly does mean a lot. Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections overwhelming, FICO score low.. bankruptcy or attempt DV letters?

You can wait until the SOL runs out, but your creditors may sue you before they do.  Like you, I had a large amount of debt I couldn't pay back.  My husband's pay was cut in half and we just couldn't afford the payments any longer.  I tried to do everything in my power to pay on time until one morning I woke up and decided I couldn't do it any longer.  I spoke to an attorney who informed me I should file.  My debt was over $120K.  That did include a car that would be give back.  Once I hired the attorney there was this wonderful sense of relief.  I had to make payments to the lawyer and during that process, I got served by a creditor.  Well, because my bankruptcy was finally filed, they had to stop court proceedings.  Thank goodness!  Anyways.  If you have that many accounts that you have not paid on in over a year, you probably have a large amount of debt, fees, interest. 

If you settle the debt, it gets reported on your credit as settled in full.  This on your credit is not that good.  If you file bankruptcy, seriously, your credit is already damaged.  If you file you will get a clean start.  Plus you are so young.  I know people who get home loans and other types of loans after they filed bankruptcy.  Sending validation letters only says to the collection agency you are disputing the debt.  They are lazy.  All they will do is send your account back to your creditor.  The item will not be removed from your credit.  It will possibly get transferred to another agency or they might take legal action.

My advice, file bankruptcy now and get it over with.  If you want to pay the collection agencies, try to get the lowest settlement possible.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections overwhelming, FICO score low.. bankruptcy or attempt DV letters?

I've been down that road myself and ended up filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy because I had investment properties.  It was the best possible move for me and I did recover faster.  If your income is sufficent and you want to pay back a portion of what you owe, you can file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy which is viewed more favorably by lenders because you paid back a portion. 
Message 3 of 4
mimi4tear

well, i filed bankruptcy 31/2 yrs ago & i wish i hadn't done it!!! i still can't get a loan. yeah, the credit cards r e-z to get, but, it's the bankruptcy that hurts. i'm dealing with a banker who is trying to help me get on the right track. so, please don't make the same mistakes i did. you r still young enuf to pay your bills off 

& save your credit!! 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.