Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused and Wishful for discharge Ch. 7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused and Wishful for discharge Ch. 7

Hello, I have been reading all of the questions and answers in this forum for months and have gained a wealth of knowledge and would love to thank you all for that. Recently, my husband and I filed a chapter 13 June 2016 and had it converted to a chapter 7 August 2016. Our 341 hearing was Sept.2016.  At the current moment, we are still in bankruptcy and I am confused about a discharge date. I have attempted to log into Pacer and also made an account but it. keeps telling me I need a token, which they have sent 2 out and I have yet to recieve. I have also called the U.S. bankruptcy number found on the back of our 341 hearing paper and it states that the last day to file a consumer debt was Nov.1 and Government is December 21. Can someone PLEASE attempt to give me an estimate of when my discharge may be. Unfortunately, during our bankruptcy, we had to switch lawyers due to bad advice and all our paperwork that we submitted not being turned in on time because he claimed he lost it.  Our biggest problem is because of his mistake was that our 13 was dismissed, bills became further behind and we lost our home and vehicle in a matter of months.  But, to shed a little light on the situation which confuses me the most is recently I decided to test the waters and see if I could get any credit to maybe begin rebuilding. I attempted Fingerhut and was denied but I also tried my husband and he was approved for 130.00. Is this a sign of possible discharge soon or am I wishful thinking?  Thanks and ANY feedback is appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused and Wishful for discharge Ch. 7

Hi Smooches, I totally understand where you are because I was in the "waiting for discharge" mode just several weeks ago. 

First off, I know that my attorney advised me no to get any new credit during an open (non-discharged) bankruptcy because it may raise red flags to the trustee and such. 

Secondly, depending on your local court that's handling the BK7, it may not update for a month with your discharge, but usuallly you'll be able to see a forecast discharge date on Pacer once they know yours will be discharged. Because of the conversion from one chapter to another, I don't have much experience - so my info may not all be accurate I'm just kind of filling in blanks from the research I had done before. 

Your discharge date is likely to come shortly after the "last day to object" and likely that would include anyone's option to object, so I'd guesstimate you won't get a discharge until after 12/21 from the gov't info you mentioned. I would keep checking pacer every so often, and maybe reach out to your new attorney about what all of it means. Personally, I emailed my attorney a lot during the process when I couldn't find an answer on here, but she was a flat-fee rate, so there weren't any "billables" from that stuff. 

I hope this helps you! Wishing you the best & a happy Thanksgiving Smiley Happy 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.