Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Bankruptcy - please help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering Bankruptcy - please help!

Hello,

I am considering filing for bankruptcy (but really don't want to), and I am just looking for a little support on the best thing to do.  This is eating me up day and night, and I am beyond stressed about it!

I got married in Aug 2008 and had a baby in Nov 2008.  My husband filed for BK in Feb 2005 and discharged in May 2005.  He came into the marriage with ~$1500 of unsecured debt in 2 small credit cards and 3 small collection items (which were all on his credit report).  I used my CC's to pay off his collection items and we used income to pay of his CC's.  Here's where we stand now:

Mastercard Credit Card      $8,475   16.90%

Line of credit                     $4,774   11.90%

Visa Credit Card                $2,881    26.24%

Discover store credit card   $3,306    24.99%

Store Credit Card               $744      24.90%

Store Credit Card             $1,113     22.80%

Store Credit Card              $527       23.90%        

Total unsecured Debt = $21,820

In order to pay this all off in 2 years, I need to pay  at least $942 / month for 24 consecutive months

In order to pay this all off in 5 years, I need to pay at least $573 / month for 60 consecutive months

Current minimum payments on all credit cards = $650

He makes $50k, I make $40k.  After we pay $650 a month on credit cards, mortgage (house is in my name), utilites, cable, telephone, child support for his 2 kids, cell phone, internet, my gym membership, childcare (1 infant 1 schoolager), 2 car payments, insurance and student loans, we have ~ $800 a month left over for gas, groceries, and any other expenses.  

We have 4 children (3 in school and 1 infant; 2 are his 1 is mine and 1 is ours).  I calculated our spending last month, we spent $800 on groceries alone!  His 2 kids and mine from previous are with us 50% of the time (2 - 3 days a week and every other weekend).  We have just filed for a modification of child support and starting in June that will go down ~ $80 a month.

We are TIGHT every month so far and have been living off extra things that have run out.  I was in school, so we maxed out student loans and lived off that.  Then we got a 5k tax return and got caught up on everything.  

None of my credit reports have late payments for over five years.  I was a single mom before I got married and worked my tail off to make sure I paid everything on time. 

All of my credit cards and line of credit are at ~ 85 - 90% of their limit. 

We have 2 cars and need to sell one and buy a minivan for our newly expanded family!

We live in a 2 bedroom townhouse and need to get something bigger eventually, but we can handle another year or  two in our current house if we have to.  We've made it work.

My husband wants me to file bankruptcy.  I say we cut cable, internet, (or just one), strict grocery budget, no alcohol, I cut my gym membership, I work part-time when I can (I have a flexible part-time job I am not working due to the new baby).  He said if I file bankruptcy, we can take the money I was paying and we can start contributing to 401k again (employer matches up to 5%), open a Roth IRA, and start saving.  I say, that if we can't pay the bills and save now, we won't be able to do it later.  Our garage is full of stuff from combining households and I am so frustrated that he doesn't want to first go through the crap we have, try to sell it or get rid of it, figure out what we have left over and go from there.  He just says I can't afford my monthly payments, bankruptcy is inevitable and I should just do it now to save $$.  

If I attempt to pay off my debt in 5 years, this will mean no more eating out (which we do 4 - 6 times a year for special occasions), no more cable or internet, no vacations, strict grocery planning, and we basically live "poor" until then.  I am used to buying all my clothes 2nd hand and have no problem with living "poor"  Iand spending quality time with the family that costs little $$ - I was a single mom and that's how I had to live.  I go to the gym several times a week and LOVE it ... it's my escape and my "me" time.  But ever since we started talking about bakruptcy, he seems to be telling me what I need to cut to pay off this debt.  He knew about my debt when we got married, I just hate to see him spend $$ on fast food, and other things we don't need if we are in this together. 

Now I feel like because we have talked to much about it ... that I am holding the family back from so much if I don't file BK.  We can't get a new van (which we desprately need!!), we won't be able to go camping this summer, have family outings, we won't even have $$ for small things like movies. IfI file BK, that's an extra $650 a month for the family, and my husband has already told me how he wants to spend the money ... a new TV ... a new grill.  I just can't do it!  I know unless I get my act together and discipline myself to pay it off, we will NOT Make hard choices and we will end up in debt again!  But my husband seems dissapointed in me if I don't want to file ... HELP!

I know this is rambling, but I am hoping someone can look at what I've said and offer some advice!!

Thanks!!

Elizabeth

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Considering Bankruptcy - please help!

First and foremost - breath.  You are going to get responses from people that tell you no way - do not file bk; file it - get rid of the stress; see a debt counsler; negotiate lower rates with your cc; cut back every where you can.  But in the end you will need to decide what is best for you and your family as a whole. 

First look at the facts:

Bk is not easy and it sticks with you forever.  Your husband thinks that all this debt is just going to go away and then that money that went to the debt can go towards savings or more "stuff".  News flash.  You may not be able to qualify for a 7.  Based on your post, the two of you make $90k a year.  You may be forced into a Ch. 13 , if they count his income for anything, which forces you to pay back your debt for a period of 3-5 years. And this monthly payment isn't small by any means (and you turn over any tax refunds for the first 3 years).  At the end of 2005 when the BK laws changed, they made it no so easy to just go and file bk to get rid of debt.   You want/need a new van - bk will mean you probably can't qualify for financing, or depending on when you buy, you'll have a very high interest rate.  You want/need more room - when you file bk you need to wait two or more years from the date of discharge to qualify for a mortgage loan (with most loan types) and then again, you'll have a high interest rate.  In a 13, I believe you can begin applying for loans (with approval from your trustee) after a year of on time payments (but that may be two years as well, sorry.) Student loans are not dischargeable in bk so you will still owe those no matter what.  You are going to tank your credit history.  And with the credit world in the mess it is now, getting/re-establishing credit ti going to be very difficult if not impossible.   

If you can cut things here and there like you mentioned in your post and work a little more and avoid bk then that's the way to go.  Have you contacted your student loan servicers to see if you can get a forebearance on your sl's?  If so, maybe for that year of forebearance you can use that money to work on bringing down you debt. 

My husband and I, after weighing all the options at the time, did end up filing for a Ch. 13 Bk in 2004 (after my son was born. medical bills galore, and lots of missed work).  It was not an easy choice by any means.  But in the end it was the best choice for our family, we were always going to struggle and would never get ahead, and money would always be TIGHT.  I can't tell you how much stress disappeared after that.  But we really stuck to our guns after our BK and watched our finances and vowed to not get into that situation again.  It doesn't sound like your husband really learned from his bk.  I assume that not all of that debt you listed is only there because of you.  It sounds like you've done everything right.  You could at least consult with a bk atty and see if you would qualify.  Good luck to you! 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, all of the debt tha that I listed is mine.  I think I charged $500 or so to pay off a couple small collection items my husband had when we got married.  I wanted to clean up his credit as much as possible since he already had a BK.  

I think you are right about the Ch 13 - I tried the means test and with the "allowable expenses" I think we make too much. 

I know the next step is to talk to an attorney, but I just worry that when I do, they are going to convinvce me that BK is the way to go, just so they can collect my attorney's fees. Does that sound cycnical??

Either way, I am obviously stressed out!  Thanks for the support!!

Message 3 of 12
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know the next step is to talk to an attorney, but I just worry that when I do, they are going to convinvce me that BK is the way to go, just so they can collect my attorney's fees. Does that sound cycnical??  That doesn't sound cynical at all.  Just an FYI though, in bankruptcy, attorneys are much more restricted when it comes to collecting attorneys fees.  You can actually thank your government for that one.  And a good bk atty will not make it sound like it is your last resort and most will offer a free consult.  Shop around for a bit until you've gathered some professional opinions and then maybe you'll be better able to decide what course is best for you an your family. 

Either way, I am obviously stressed out!  Thanks for the support!!  Your most welcome!  I know it's easier said than done, but don't stress so much, it's only money and your family is what matters most (but you knew that already Smiley Wink).   

Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

For such a small amount of credit card debt I personally would not file. Depending on how cool you and your husband are under stress a very good option is to just not pay your credit cards. Let them call and squawk and hassle you but stay cool. The debt reduction companies are a farce. They offer 40-50% off your debt and that is it. By doing what i just said, credit card companie's, who are now depserate to avoid collectin zero on your debt will offer 50% off your debts by just letting them wait for 6 months. It worked for my wife and i hope it works for you. Her situation was much different and she eventually went bankrupt due to the tremendous amoutn of debt from her now dead ex alchoholic husband who took cards and cash from their house and ran away.

Stay cool. Let them eat crow and settle for 50% or less. We made no contact and they were begging for her to settle for 50% on the dollar. Imagine if we made contact and tried for a better settlement.

MArty

Message 5 of 12
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Depending on how cool you and your husband are under stress a very good option is to just not pay your credit cards. Let them call and squawk and hassle you but stay cool. The debt reduction companies are a farce. They offer 40-50% off your debt and that is it. By doing what i just said, credit card companie's, who are now depserate to avoid collectin zero on your debt will offer 50% off your debts by just letting them wait for 6 months.

Let them eat crow and settle for 50% or less. We made no contact and they were begging for her to settle for 50% on the dollar. Imagine if we made contact and tried for a better settlement.

That's not an incredibly bad idea, but if going that route, why wait until all the cards are in default and late fees and added interest are included?  Why not call the companies up, say you are considering bk and offer a 50-60% settlement?  At least that way you won't have a ton of late payment and collection notations on your credit reports.  And offering 50-60% now will probably save you more money because you won't be settling the inflated amount of debt after the extra late charges and such.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Banks will never work with you like that. They need to see you are serious about this and the only way to get their attention is to let it ride until they scream and say ok ok  we give in, here's what we can settle for. Then you have some bargaining room and have a dialogue going. This gets their attention. trust me.

Marty

Message 7 of 12
BuckiRob
Established Member

Uhmmm if you do that wont they simply sell the account to a collection agency?  At that point you have no ability to negotiate
Message 8 of 12
kd529
Valued Member

I've tried negotiating before going late and the CC company says they cant do anything. I have had success waiting out in the past. Only thing is you have to have the cash when its time to make the deal.
Message 9 of 12
carlismycat
New Contributor

I know this is a really old thread. But I found it from doing a search. I am in a similar situation feeling backed into s corner. I have been paying everything (meaning CC's) on time for almost 7 years. I have worked so hard waiting for my last late's to fall off my credit reports and finally have a clean slate again. Only problem is am maxed out on cc's and been struggling to keep paying the minimums for about a year now. I made 400. Less on my last paycheck (this past Friday) and don't have the money to pay everything on time before next payday.
I refuse to stop paying on my new car (first car loan ever at 38 years old) , and my 10,000. Installment/personal Loan through the credit union. And I don't want to ruin my financial relationship with American Express. I had never been late with them . I was thinking the only way to avoid bankruptcy is to save up money between two-three pay checks (but still pay on my loan and car payment each month) and pay off each credit card starting with the smallest balance in one lump sum. To get them out of the way. Only way to do that is be late /not pay everyone else I owe . Basically like snowballing but I don't have enough money to pay everyone at the same time if I keep getting low payday checks. I'm working Saturdays and taking jobs on the side with my other stuff I can do (photography, and making reborn dolls) outside of work.
If this method works, I will end up with a lot of late's on my credit report but have a better chance of stuff paid off sooner. Is this still better than doing bankruptcy ?
Trying to garden again: Myfico Experian: 621, Myfico Equifax : 613, MyFico transunion: 639
Goal : 780

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.