cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting from a Chapter 13 to a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

tag
nicki527

Converting from a Chapter 13 to a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

I've been in a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy for 2.5 years and want to convert to a Chapter 7.  To what degree will a conversion lower my credit score?  In the past 2.5 years my score has increased from 424 to the lower 600's.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Converting from a Chapter 13 to a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Not sure about the conversion...most of the time you have to have your 13 dismissed, and then file a 7. Thats what I had to do. As for score, it wasnt until my 7 discharged that I saw my score increase.

Message 2 of 3
ji9
Regular Contributor

Re: Converting from a Chapter 13 to a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

We converted our CH13 to a CH7 last year.  We found no negative effect to our scores.  As far as our scores were concerned they were going off the filing date.  I wish we had never filed the 13 and just done a 7 in the first place.  The 13 was a huge mistake and even though it was almost 3.5 years since we filed the 13, we are finding that mortgage lenders only look at the discharge date and don't caare what type of BK it was.  If we had just done the CH7 we'd be 3 years out by now.  Good luck. 

Starting Score: 608 (TU) 612 (EQ)
Current Score: 679 (TU) 679 (EQ)
Goal: 760 on all
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.