Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Valued Contributor

Copy of FTC Staff Opinion Letter re: No reporting of Chargeoffs or Lates after FILING Date

[ Edited ]

I had a number of accounts that were current at the time of filing chapter 7.  No lates, not in chargeoff status.  I have been trying to find this FTC letter for awhile (in full -- not just mention of it) and located it.  I intend to use this in a written dispute for each account sent to each CRA by mail and also to the original creditors insisting that they remove these chargeoff/late pays after filing date.

I am also attaching a very old link from 2006 from a different site discussing the ins and outs of this.  It is the best discussion I have ever found on the topic.

FTC Advisor Opinion Letter:  

https://www.ftc.gov/policy/advisory-opinions/advisory-opinion-lovern-04-24-98

(Old) extensive discussion about the reporting requirements.  Good ammo for creating dispute letters:

(Mod Cut - Im sorry links to this site are not permitted on myFico)

I hope this will help others.  I am ordering my paper reports from each CRA so I can see precisely how they are wording each account.  Under payment status it needs to say (included in bankruptcy) and not as a chargeoff.

Good luck.  I hope this helps others.

FICO 08: EX-690, EQ-707, TU-697 - [9/19/2017]
FICO 04: EX-684, EQ-681, TU-724 - [9/5/2016]
NFCU NavChk 15K | NFCU Visa 6.99% 25K | CapOne 43K | CapOne 7K | Barclay Aviator 9.5K | Discover 17.5K | BECU Visa 10K | BECU PLOC 2.5K | DCU 7.5K | BofA 5K | CareCredit 10K | Lowes 10K | Amazon Prime 10K *** 172K Total Revolving
BK 7 Filed 8/23/2013 - Discharged 11/27/2013.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Copy of FTC Staff Opinion Letter re: No reporting of Chargeoffs or Lates after FILING Date

Thank you for posting. I'm fairly certain my car loan is reporting incorrectly in many ways, reporting as charged off when it wasn't when I filed, and reporting lates after my filing date. Grrrrr BoA

Starting Scores 2/2/16 EX: N/A EQ: 586 TU: 597 | As of 5/3/16 EX: 682 EQ: 681 TU: 672
Highlighted

Re: Copy of FTC Staff Opinion Letter re: No reporting of Chargeoffs or Lates after FILING Date

[ Edited ]

I am requesting that this be made a sticky since it comes up often and this is a definitive letter regarding iib and charge off discrepancies. 

EDIT:  Your post has been added to the stickies Ch-7 Rebuilding. Thank you for the excellent info.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.