cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards: Anyone get one before BK discharge?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Cards: Anyone get one before BK discharge?

We are in a situation where our Chapter 7 is being dragged out and we are having problems with the administrator trying to dismiss it. Meanwhile, my husband's corporate AMEX was cancelled when we filed in October. He had never even used it. Now, he needs to travel in May. He was supposed to use his corporate card, but now we don't have that.

We still haven't been discharged from our 7, and it looks like the administrator now has until April 15. Provided that our case doesn't take another turn. 

Has anyone ever had luck applying for a card with around a $2500 limit before discharge? We don't have the cash to front his travel expenses, so I am trying to figure out options. 

Thanks-

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Cards: Anyone get one before BK discharge?

Only a secured card (OpenSky doesn't check credit).

Almost no chance of an unsecured card -- you can try Cap 1, but it's doubtful.  And then it could get closed again on you.

Can you get an authorized user card from a family member or close friend or business associate?

Message 2 of 32
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Prior to discharge... extremely doubtful.

They see BR on your report without being discharged and it's a huge red flag due to the fact any debt you incur on a new card can technically be discharged along with everything else. 

2 years ago when I got my discharge I went car shopping the next day and every lender was faxing in conditional approvals as long as I faxed them a copy of my discharge because my credit report hadn't yet updated.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 3 of 32
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I would not be fronting the company any money at all for their travel related expenses, it is up to them to pay for such things as tickets. I would be requesting their accounting office pay for the major expense up front.

Message 4 of 32
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

As difficult a situation as it is for your hubby, he needs to discuss the trave expenses with his employer. That you all are strucggling with a bankruptcy process should not cause him problems with his employer ... but taking too long to bring it to their attention could cause him pain. If the employer so chooses, they could make him an authorized user on one of the company's own credit cards. I have been in this situation years ago when I ran into personal financial difficulties while being a heavy traveller on the job. I told my boss about it and they simply made me an authorized user on a card controlled by the accounting department.

OP: Are you using a bankruptcy attorney to help you deal with the challenges you are facing? What's causing the delays?

Message 5 of 32
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

I believe he was on the company card and they cancelled him because of the BK

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am currently in chapter 7. Hopefully I should be discharged in April. I filed December 2014. I received an unsecured credit one credit card for $400. I opened a secured card for $500. I received an auto loan for $17900. Score has shot up 40 points just from their initial posting on my credit reports so I am now in the low 600s across all three credit bureaus without being discharged. I wanted to start early.

Message 7 of 32
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@ojefferyo wrote:

I believe he was on the company card and they cancelled him because of the BK

No...he had a card under the company's name but his personal guarantee. That's how corporate Amex cards work. Being added as an authorized user on a company card is a different matter. 

Message 8 of 32
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Message 9 of 32
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am currently in chapter 7. Hopefully I should be discharged in April. I filed December 2014. I received an unsecured credit one credit card for $400. I opened a secured card for $500. I received an auto loan for $17900. Score has shot up 40 points just from their initial posting on my credit reports so I am now in the low 600s across all three credit bureaus without being discharged. I wanted to start early.

Wow.

For the life of me I can't figure out why Ch 13 filers like me who were stuck paying back creditors were 4 years were told "no new credit without trustee approval" but Ch 7 filers are free to wipe out all the debt today and start racking up new debt tomorrow.

Wasn't the bankruptcy law overhauled a few years back?

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.