cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Counselor told me to dispute negative info included in B

tag
xynephadyn

Credit Counselor told me to dispute negative info included in B

So its been 5 years (filed in 2009) since my chapter 7 bankruptcy due to health reasons (I have severe Multiple Sclerosis).  My husband and i are trying to purchase a house soon and  My score could use a little extra boost.

I went to a credit counselor a few months ago and she told me that all of my bills that went into collections (ie a verizon wireless bill) and loans should not be reporting on my credit report as negative information.  I use equifax and myFico for my credit reporting information.  There is conflicting information on the internet about whether or not this information should still be reported on my credit report affecting my credit score.

So my question is should it?  Or should I dispute it?  The credit counselor told me to dispute it.  Was she wrong?

In my negative report information it says that:

Verizon recently reported in Jan 2014 that I had a deliquent account in chapter 7 bankruptcy

Several student loans that were discharged through Citibank (Sallie Mae) was dischargable through bankruptcy as it was not a federal loan.  Is still reporting that it was transferred and not discharged through bankruptcy even though I disputed it a year ago and it says I did but will not report as discharged.  And it still has a balance on it!!!!!!!

Then my Federal Studen loan I was able to have discharged legally due to my health disability, is still being reported as having deliquencies.  Even though I have had it discharged 3 years ago.

I am so confused on what to dispute if I can any of this at all.

Please any information on this would greatly help!

Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
apeydee

Re: Credit Counselor told me to dispute negative info included in B

If you obtained your discharge then it needs to be corrected, I would definitely dispute it.
Message 2 of 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Counselor told me to dispute negative info included in B

@xynephadyn wrote:

So its been 5 years (filed in 2009) since my chapter 7 bankruptcy due to health reasons (I have severe Multiple Sclerosis).  My husband and i are trying to purchase a house soon and  My score could use a little extra boost.

I went to a credit counselor a few months ago and she told me that all of my bills that went into collections (ie a verizon wireless bill) and loans should not be reporting on my credit report as negative information.  I use equifax and myFico for my credit reporting information.  There is conflicting information on the internet about whether or not this information should still be reported on my credit report affecting my credit score.

So my question is should it?  Or should I dispute it?  The credit counselor told me to dispute it.  Was she wrong?

In my negative report information it says that:

Verizon recently reported in Jan 2014 that I had a deliquent account in chapter 7 bankruptcy

Several student loans that were discharged through Citibank (Sallie Mae) was dischargable through bankruptcy as it was not a federal loan.  Is still reporting that it was transferred and not discharged through bankruptcy even though I disputed it a year ago and it says I did but will not report as discharged.  And it still has a balance on it!!!!!!!

Then my Federal Studen loan I was able to have discharged legally due to my health disability, is still being reported as having deliquencies.  Even though I have had it discharged 3 years ago.

I am so confused on what to dispute if I can any of this at all.

Please any information on this would greatly help!

Thank you!

Would you clarify please ....

Are the tradelines that were included in your banruptcy filing showing "Included in bankruptcy" with zero balances? If yes, I don't know that anything else reported on that tradeline [eg: status of the tradeline at the time if filing] is illegal. Someone with much more expertise will hopefully chime in. I'd just like to know exactly how the tradelines are being reported.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.