Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Report Errors after bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Report Errors after bankruptcy

I filed bankruptcy in March and got discharged on July 1st, now I am trying to get my credit reports cleaned up. Most of my issues revolve around collections accounts and experian/equifax. TU has been great and deleted lots of stuff after disputes. The other two are giving me many problems. I would like to know about how reporting is supposed to go? I have accounts on both EQ and EX that are reporting as collections or charge off from March thru June, although the balance was zeroe'd out and the status was put as "discharged in bankruptcy". So should I be disputing over the payment history showing "collections/charge off" during the month I filed and months after if the other information is correct? There is also one account where original creditor is not showing bankruptcy at all but just charge off, and then that same account has a collections agency that is on the report for a lower amount on the exact same debt. 

Last but not least, If transunion deleted certain tradelines does that mean the other two have to as well? If so do I just send them the report showing TU did? 

If anyone can offer any clarity on this it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Report Errors after bankruptcy

CRAs (TU, EQ and EX) act independantly from each other. They do not all have to report the same info and usually dont. You can dispute any late payments activitiy showing on accts IIB after the BK was discharged. You can dispute any account that is being reported incorrectly. TU is usually much easier to work with than EQ or EX. Good luck in your endeavor.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 2 of 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I filed bankruptcy in March and got discharged on July 1st, now I am trying to get my credit reports cleaned up. Most of my issues revolve around collections accounts and experian/equifax. TU has been great and deleted lots of stuff after disputes. The other two are giving me many problems. I would like to know about how reporting is supposed to go? I have accounts on both EQ and EX that are reporting as collections or charge off from March thru June, although the balance was zeroe'd out and the status was put as "discharged in bankruptcy". So should I be disputing over the payment history showing "collections/charge off" during the month I filed and months after if the other information is correct? There is also one account where original creditor is not showing bankruptcy at all but just charge off, and then that same account has a collections agency that is on the report for a lower amount on the exact same debt. 

Last but not least, If transunion deleted certain tradelines does that mean the other two have to as well? If so do I just send them the report showing TU did? 

If anyone can offer any clarity on this it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1) All tradeleines should be reported as $0 balance and IIB. If not, use the dispute route, with supporting documentation, to have them corrected.

2) A discharge does not remove reported history. If the history is correct, this forum does not support disputing of valid information. If you do, maybe you don't post it here.

3) Use the goodwill process to try and get original creditors of tradelines that had charged off balances to update your report purely for goodwill or wait for normal drop off.

4) Focus on adding new tradelines and using them to build positive use/payment history.

5) Deal with each reporting agency individually. They have no obligation to honor each other's decisions.

All the best with your rebuilding efforts.

Message 3 of 4
1Rebuilding
New Contributor

Do they still report as delinquent , and in a payment plan?  A few of my account list as closed and paid as agreed/Discharged in chapter 13.  While others list delinquent and in a PP months after discharge and multiple attempts to change it.

Discharged Chapter 13 late 5/15. Starting my rebuild:
7/28/15 Fico 8: EQ 567-Trans 534-Ex 542-----8/28/15 Fico 8: EQ 632-Trans 622-EX 625
9/25/15 Fico 8 EQ 663-Trans 634-EX 645-----12/9/15 Fico 8: EQ 673-Trans 654-EX 663
2/17/16 Fico 8: EQ 670-Trans 658-EX 676-----3/4/16 Fico 8: EQ 686-Trans 667-EX 686
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.