Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score shock

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score shock

Not sure what I was expecting, but I think I had hopes it wouldn't be this bad.  I filed Chapter 7 on April 16th.  I was messing around with pre-qualifiers (just wanted to see, not planning on applying) and saw that Experian had me at 460 so it prompted me to check all my scores.  Thankfully, the Experian was wrong.  Equifax is clearly in the toilet.

Trans 528

Experian 566

Equifax 473

Can I start working on things before discharge?  Should I see a bump when I am discharged?  I've reviewed the 24 months to 700 plan, just wondering if anyone started out this low.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Score shock

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure what I was expecting, but I think I had hopes it wouldn't be this bad.  I filed Chapter 7 on April 16th.  I was messing around with pre-qualifiers (just wanted to see, not planning on applying) and saw that Experian had me at 460 so it prompted me to check all my scores.  Thankfully, the Experian was wrong.  Equifax is clearly in the toilet.

Trans 528

Experian 566

Equifax 473

Can I start working on things before discharge?  Should I see a bump when I am discharged?  I've reviewed the 24 months to 700 plan, just wondering if anyone started out this low.

I wouldn't worry about your scores right now.  If they are like mine they will be all over the place.  You will just make yourself mad until after discharge and you get alll your reports clean and reporting correctly.  Everything will be ok and you soon will be discharged and on the road to rebuilding and your scores will all rebound.   

Message 2 of 3
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Score shock

Good advice.  ^

Focus on cleaning up your reports and making sure everything is correct before worrying about scores.  Most creditors won't update your reports to IIB until AFTER you are discharged... so give it 30 days after your discharge date before you start disputing inaccuracies.

I also wouldn't be applying for new credit until you are discharged.  The wrong trustee can make things difficult for you if you start applying for new credit before your previous debt is discharged.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.