Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Union Auto after BK

tag
bstone
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Union Auto after BK

You need to qualify for membership at most CU's, the qualifications are different at each so you would need to go to their respective websites and look for their membership requirements.

With NFCU you have to be military affiliated, they have a membership qualifier: https://www.navyfederal.org/how-to-become-a-member/how-to-become-a-member.php

Just answer the "yes" and "no" questions on the right side and it will tell you if you are eligible or not.  If you are you can open the account pre-discharge, $5.00 deposit into savings and you're in.

NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, wil check it out. I come from a Naval family and my nephew has an account with them I just found out.

Message 12 of 18
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, wil check it out. I come from a Naval family and my nephew has an account with them I just found out.

You are golden then! Open an account asap and enjoy! NFCU is awesome!!!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I am new to the forum.. I am also interested in NFCU account and I am eligible based on military affiliation, would I need to wait until after my 341 meeting or discharge to apply ? also would anyone here know if NFCU would use EWS- Early Warning System, TeleCheck or Chexsystem ?  Thanks

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I am new to the forum.. I am also interested in NFCU account and I am eligible based on military affiliation, would I need to wait until after my 341 meeting or discharge to apply ? also would anyone here know if NFCU would use EWS- Early Warning System, TeleCheck or Chexsystem ?  Thanks

I can't speak as to NFCU specifically, but you should wait for your discharge, pull your credit reports, resolve any discrepancies and then consider applying for credit.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

So do they not ask you for proof of military when you apply? My nephew has an account with them but he doesn't want to do the sponsorship thing but my Dad and both brothers was in the Navy. SO would I be eligible to get an account with them or do I have to provide some sort of proof? Thanks

Message 16 of 18
linzey
Established Member

If my husband was in the Air Force many years ago, and had an honorable discharge,  would this qualify us to become members?

Message 17 of 18
Scupra
Super Contributor

It is easiest to call NFCU and ask. They are very helpful
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.