Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards and loans

tag
Delia72
Valued Member

Credit cards and loans

Do my husband and I need to have separate cards and loans, or can we be joint on them all (or AUs)?

I ask because, it seems a few posters have applied for separate cards, etc., than their spouses.

Thanks
BK Discharge 5/6/14
Quizzle Score EQ 585 as of 7/14
TU 637 as of 7/14
Credit Sesame EX FAKO 653 as of 7/10/14
Goal 700 + home purchase

Cap 1 Unsecured Plat PC'd to Quicksilver
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit cards and loans

First let me ask -- did you intend your post to go in the Bankruptcy forum? Is this bankruptcy related?

As to your question, many credit cards these days don't allow joint card holders, though they would allow one member of a couple to be the primary holder and the other person to be an authorized user. Other loan types (mortgages, auto loans, etc.) do allow joint borrowers, but whether you want to be joint borrowers or individual borrowers is up to you and your own circumstances. For instance, most couples would probably want a joint mortgage unless one partner had bad credit or something, but you might each want to have your own car with its own loan.

It's about your circumstances and your comfort level. Some people like sharing everything, financially. Others prefer to keep finances mostly separate and pool only a few things.

Message 2 of 6
Delia72
Valued Member

Yes. I am awaiting a discharge. I just wanted to know the best way to build both of our credit scores. I'd rather not have 2 sets of everything.

Thanks
BK Discharge 5/6/14
TU 637 as of 7/14
Goal 700 + home purchase

Message 3 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Delia72 wrote:
Yes. I am awaiting a discharge. I just wanted to know the best way to build both of our credit scores. I'd rather not have 2 sets of everything.

Thanks

Not withstanding your preference, it makes sense to build your credit profiles seperately. It really is not that much more work or effort. I am now one year past ch 7 discharge and my wife's credit is growing stronger than mine ... for the first time ever! She got a Barclays card offer [$1500 cli] about six months ago and a cli to $3k last week. I am jealous. Only yesterday I received a Barclay card offer for the first time. Now we are both in a strong position to decide which we want to accept [hardly any!] and which goes into the shredder. Our ch 7 discharge 1st anniversary was April 14th!

Message 4 of 6
Delia72
Valued Member

@ezdriver wrote:

@Delia72 wrote:

Thanks

Not withstanding your preference, it makes sense to build your credit profiles seperately. It really is not that much more work or effort. I am now one year past ch 7 discharge and my wife's credit is growing stronger than mine ... for the first time ever! She got a Barclays card offer [$1500 cli] about six months ago and a cli to $3k last week. I am jealous. Only yesterday I received a Barclay card offer for the first time. Now we are both in a strong position to decide which we want to accept [hardly any!] and which goes into the shredder. Our ch 7 discharge 1st anniversary was April 14th!

Well, I am happy to report that we got approved for a checking/savings at a credit union!  Was it you that suggested obtaining a credit builder loan, and then using it to fund a secured card with them?

I should app Credit 1 first, then wait 6 months for Capital One?

Thanks

BK Discharge 5/6/14
TU 637 as of 7/14
Goal 700 + home purchase

Message 5 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Delia72 wrote:

@ezdriver wrote:

@Delia72 wrote:

Thanks

Well, I am happy to report that we got approved for a checking/savings at a credit union!  Was it you that suggested obtaining a credit builder loan, and then using it to fund a secured card with them?

I should app Credit 1 first, then wait 6 months for Capital One?

Thanks

You have a good memory ... that was a while back and you are correct. I thought that it was a smart way to use the funds ... get two tradelines for the same money. It has worked out great.

If you sit tight, you will receive offers in the mail [if you have not opted out] and CreditOne will be among them. I see no harm in applying for it if you done't want to wait. You are on the right track. Hold off on Cap1 and you will be rewarded.

All the best with your rebuilding efforts. I am prooof that it ain't that hard ... but it does require patience.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.