Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit reporting after discharge

tag
Randi1009
Established Member

Credit reporting after discharge

My chapter 7 was discharged in August. I did not reaffirm the debt for my car and let the finance company take the car back. Since then it has never reported correctly to Equifax. It was listed as an open account with the balance still due so I disputed it and for some reason the dispute came back and the account dropped off my report but that was temporary. The auto loan showed back up again as an open account with a balance due again so once again I disputed it as included in bankruptcy and this morning I receive notification from Equifax that they have verified the information is correct and being reported correctly. I'm not sure how to proceed. Shouldn't it report as a closed account now with some mention of bankruptcy?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mexley
Established Member

Re: Credit reporting after discharge

From what I am understanding, it should not show open or have a balance. When you disputed it, did you send a copy of your discharge and the list of debts included? What finance company was it?

SCORES AS OF 9/30/2015
FICO 8 Scores- Equifax=640 Transunion=614 Experian=620
FICO Auto Scores- Equifax=653 Transunion=673 Experian=590

Filed Ch7 9/24/15
341 Scheduled 11/17/15
Message 2 of 5
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Now, you would try a direct dispute with the actual lender.  Be sure to give them a timeframe (ie, say, 30 days from receipt) to correct it.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can always contact your lawyer and have them send in a letter.  I had my lawyer do that many times over the years.  It's been a little over 8 years. 

Message 4 of 5
Randi1009
Established Member

I did not include my credit matrix the first time, just the discharge paperwork because I never received an official copy of the credit matrix. I'm sure I can get one from my attorney or order one though. Now I see there's 2 additional credit cards Equifax is reporting as open again with balances due that were also discharged in my bankruptcy. These accounts are reporting correctly everywhere else so I'm not sure what happened with Equifax.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.