Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CreditOne, gas rewards and confusion...

tag
NancyLou
Established Member

CreditOne, gas rewards and confusion...

Last week, I made my first payment on my CreditOne card, which I paid well before the due date of 4/17.  Nice surprise on it (because I forgot the card did this) was a cash reward posted to the account.  Yes, it was just 35 cents, but free money is free money, right?

My confusion comes from this:  Though it shows I've paid in full with a zero balance (not counting the 35 cent gas reward, making my balance -35 cents), it shows the limit of $300, but still shows available credit as $183 (my processing fee plus a tank of gas the day before I made my PIF payment).  What's up with this?  If I paid the bill in full, shouldn't the whole $300 be available or does it cycle with the statement?

I'm not sure I'm liking this card at all and if it wouldn't hurt me to close it earlier than the eleven months recommended in the BK7 to 700 plan, I'd like to close it sooner.

3/4/2014 Score: EX: 576, EQ: 614, TU: 572 All from myFICO
12/12/2014 Score: EX - 629 (CreditSesame) EQ-686 (myFICO), TU - 599- 3/28/2014 (CreditKarma)
Goal Score: 700 on all three by end of 2014

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Filed Ch. 13 2/18/2009, converted to Ch. 7 11/19/1013, 341 Meeting Dec. 19, 2013, discharged Mar. 13, 2014

Following the steps in the How to: BK7 to 700 in 24 months or less

Step 1 done, signed up for Score Watch.
Step 2, approved for Credit One Card ($300 limit) on 3/14/2014.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: CreditOne, gas rewards and confusion...

CreditOne says it can take five days for funds to release after payment is made. Just pay through your bank and you should be better off and funds available when payment made.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

No, credit one is one of those cards that always holds the funds for 4 to 5 business days unless you pay an "express fee" to have it clear right away.

That is simply their business model.

Message 3 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@NancyLou wrote:

Last week, I made my first payment on my CreditOne card, which I paid well before the due date of 4/17.  Nice surprise on it (because I forgot the card did this) was a cash reward posted to the account.  Yes, it was just 35 cents, but free money is free money, right?

My confusion comes from this:  Though it shows I've paid in full with a zero balance (not counting the 35 cent gas reward, making my balance -35 cents), it shows the limit of $300, but still shows available credit as $183 (my processing fee plus a tank of gas the day before I made my PIF payment).  What's up with this?  If I paid the bill in full, shouldn't the whole $300 be available or does it cycle with the statement?

I'm not sure I'm liking this card at all and if it wouldn't hurt me to close it earlier than the eleven months recommended in the BK7 to 700 plan, I'd like to close it sooner.

In what form did you make that payment? If a personal check, it is not surprising that a company that extends credit to folks with broken credit would not wait until the check clears to book it as fully paid. If it was done via direct debit to your checking account, then there should be zero float time. Call them and ask for an explanation. I can only guess. I have a CreditOne credit card but I never bother to check that level of detail. I don't use the card every month either.

Message 4 of 7
NancyLou
Established Member

I paid with my debit card.  I have a background in accounting and it's kind of my thing to check every level of detail.  I'm keeping an eye on the interest to make sure I don't get slammed at some point or some other stupid reason.

3/4/2014 Score: EX: 576, EQ: 614, TU: 572 All from myFICO
12/12/2014 Score: EX - 629 (CreditSesame) EQ-686 (myFICO), TU - 599- 3/28/2014 (CreditKarma)
Goal Score: 700 on all three by end of 2014

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Filed Ch. 13 2/18/2009, converted to Ch. 7 11/19/1013, 341 Meeting Dec. 19, 2013, discharged Mar. 13, 2014

Following the steps in the How to: BK7 to 700 in 24 months or less

Step 1 done, signed up for Score Watch.
Step 2, approved for Credit One Card ($300 limit) on 3/14/2014.
Message 5 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

There are two important dates. One when you received the statement and the other is when the statemnent is cut. If you are that concerned about interest on a small acount, then pay twice each month ... when you receive the statement and the day before the statement is cut. Done and done.

Message 6 of 7
MJSeahawks
Valued Member

As a previous poster already said, Credit One always holds the payment for 4-5 days before it will reflect in your available balance unless you pay the fee for an express payment. Just another way for them to squeeze a few more dollars from some people.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.