Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditor refuses to close account after bk

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditor refuses to close account after bk

I have a collection account that was included in a chapter 7, discharged March 31, 2013. The account has a 0 balance, and is notated as "included in bankruptcy", but is still open. I have disputed this twice and hired a credit repair company to try after my attempts failed. The company simply refuses to change the status to closed, stating there's nothing in the law that says they have to close the account. Is this true? And, if not, what can I do?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Creditor refuses to close account after bk

Does not correct it has to show closed 0 balance included in bankruptcy. The only thing day have the right to do is report lates or charged offs before bk filling also your just wasting money in hiring a company to repair your credit all the stuff they do you can do yourself . I would send them a copy of your schedules that they where included in your bk cunsult your bk attorney if you use one GOOD LUCK
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I did all of the "clean up" after bk myself, hired the repair place to help with this one account because I was getting no where with it. They didn't get any further with it than I did, so I stopped using them.

I disputed twice, both times sending my bk ppwk. The problem is, they have accepted the bk, just disagree with their obligation to close the account because of it. They've done all of the other requirements (notated bk and changed to zero balance).
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also... I dId contact my bk attorney. She says she doesn't help with the clean up after discharge. That's a whole other story of frustration.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had something like that now that I think about it I would waste my energy on it to much I notice my moths after rebuilding that it was still open I did dispute it on it didn't make a difference on my credit as it was showing 0 balance and included in bk it will still fall of after the 7 years I would not worry to much about it continue with your rebuild pretty soon all does accounts will matter less and less in your credit
Message 5 of 12
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

The creditor is reporting correctly. Zero balance and noted the account was IIB. Why do you want it to say closed?
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's only reported on Equifax, my eq score is a good 50 points below the other two. I monitor on myfico, credit karma, and through my bank (because they all show just a hair different and I've been extremely cautious about my credit since the bk). Both credit karma and my banks monitoring system show the reason for my eq score being so low is that it has "open collections".
Message 7 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

So it is reading as an open collection with a zero balance and iib?

I would report it to the CFPB and see if they can get it to reflect closed, zero and iib

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is correct startingover10. Thank you for the advice, I will try that next!
Message 9 of 12
Scupra
Super Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

So it is reading as an open collection with a zero balance and iib?

I would report it to the CFPB and see if they can get it to reflect closed, zero and iib

Agreed! IF you have exhausted all other options and it is reporting wrong the CFPB is a great last resort Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.