Aieny

Debt charged off to bankruptcy years after bankruptcy occurred?

[ Edited ]

Back in 2005, I had a bankruptcy.  Before the bankruptcy, I had been a customer of Verizon Wireless.  In 2008, I switched cell providers but inadvertently forgot to pay the last bill with Verizon.  Now, in 2013, they are reporting it as being included in the bankruptcy.  I called them, and they said that it had been sold off to EOS/CCA, but that isn't reporting on any of my credit reports (and I don't want to wake that sleeping giant!).  

I went through the dispute on each bureau, but the dispute came back that it was a valid note.  On the phone, the representative told me that there is nothing I can do, but I know that isn't true.  They are claiming because it was included in the bankruptcy (which, since it was a debt incurred after the bankrupcty would be impossible), they cannot even take payment for it, and that I simply have to wait until it falls off in 2-5 years.  

I'm not against paying it, but I'm not certain what route I should take to resolve this.  The representative told me I should contact my lawyer (I just might do that anyway), but I thought I'd post here and see if there was something I could do in the meantime (or maybe just have more information to take to my lawyer).

Starting Score: 603
Current Score: 652 | 655 | 656 from lender pull
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
DaBears

Re: Debt charged off to bankruptcy years after bankruptcy occurred?

Either I'm still sleepy or just having a hard reading this morning lol. Was the Veizon bill included in your BK back in 2005?

Aieny

Re: Debt charged off to bankruptcy years after bankruptcy occurred?

Nope...three years AFTER the bankruptcy...that's where the issue is.

Starting Score: 603
Current Score: 652 | 655 | 656 from lender pull
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}