cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt charged off to bankruptcy years after bankruptcy occurred?

tag
Aieny

Debt charged off to bankruptcy years after bankruptcy occurred?

Back in 2005, I had a bankruptcy.  Before the bankruptcy, I had been a customer of Verizon Wireless.  In 2008, I switched cell providers but inadvertently forgot to pay the last bill with Verizon.  Now, in 2013, they are reporting it as being included in the bankruptcy.  I called them, and they said that it had been sold off to EOS/CCA, but that isn't reporting on any of my credit reports (and I don't want to wake that sleeping giant!).  

I went through the dispute on each bureau, but the dispute came back that it was a valid note.  On the phone, the representative told me that there is nothing I can do, but I know that isn't true.  They are claiming because it was included in the bankruptcy (which, since it was a debt incurred after the bankrupcty would be impossible), they cannot even take payment for it, and that I simply have to wait until it falls off in 2-5 years.  

I'm not against paying it, but I'm not certain what route I should take to resolve this.  The representative told me I should contact my lawyer (I just might do that anyway), but I thought I'd post here and see if there was something I could do in the meantime (or maybe just have more information to take to my lawyer).

Starting Score: 603
Current Score: 652 | 655 | 656 from lender pull
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Debt charged off to bankruptcy years after bankruptcy occurred?

Either I'm still sleepy or just having a hard reading this morning lol. Was the Veizon bill included in your BK back in 2005?

Message 2 of 3
Aieny

Re: Debt charged off to bankruptcy years after bankruptcy occurred?

Nope...three years AFTER the bankruptcy...that's where the issue is.

Starting Score: 603
Current Score: 652 | 655 | 656 from lender pull
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.