Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deficiency Judgement Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deficiency Judgement Question

Hello Everyone! 

Here's a question that came up today that i'm curious about.....

I filed Chapter 7 in July '16, and was Discharged Sep 29th, '16....in my case I originally reaffirmed my auto loan on my 2015 Toyota Corolla with Southeast Toyota Finance but eventually was so upside down in the car I voluntairly turned it in to the dealership. (I was not behind in payments, but the ratio of the amount due and it's worth, it was pointless for me to keep.) 

I received a letter a few months back advising me that the car was picked up from the dealership and would be sold, i would be responsible for the difference, etc etc....

Fast forward to today....  I hadn't given any thought to the Corolla since I had received that original letter, but It just so happened i had a "Facebook Memory" with something about the Corolla and I google the VIN to see if i could find anything. Low and Behold, the car had not only already been purchased by a dealership in Alabama, but a customer had already purchased it again from that dealer (per the Carfax).

ANYWAYS, Here is my question: Since I never received any correspondence about when, where, and who the auctioneer would be, and apparently the amount it sold for, would this be a valid defense against a deficiency judgement here in the State of Florida, should Toyota still decide to come after me for the difference?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Deficiency Judgement Question

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Everyone! 

Here's a question that came up today that i'm curious about.....

I filed Chapter 7 in July '16, and was Discharged Sep 29th, '16....in my case I originally reaffirmed my auto loan on my 2015 Toyota Corolla with Southeast Toyota Finance but eventually was so upside down in the car I voluntairly turned it in to the dealership. (I was not behind in payments, but the ratio of the amount due and it's worth, it was pointless for me to keep.) 

I received a letter a few months back advising me that the car was picked up from the dealership and would be sold, i would be responsible for the difference, etc etc....

Fast forward to today....  I hadn't given any thought to the Corolla since I had received that original letter, but It just so happened i had a "Facebook Memory" with something about the Corolla and I google the VIN to see if i could find anything. Low and Behold, the car had not only already been purchased by a dealership in Alabama, but a customer had already purchased it again from that dealer (per the Carfax).

ANYWAYS, Here is my question: Since I never received any correspondence about when, where, and who the auctioneer would be, and apparently the amount it sold for, would this be a valid defense against a deficiency judgement here in the State of Florida, should Toyota still decide to come after me for the difference?

^^^This is an excellent question for your Bk attorney. 

I am going to move this post to the Bk section so you can get advice - hopefully from an attorney poster. But the best resource is your attorney.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.