Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Deleted bankruptcy

FaircreditguyFL,

How do you explain Kimmerz experience?  Scores went up.  It can't be a hard and fast "scores will go down for sure" edict.  I think it all depends upon what you've accomplished within the time between filing and the BK falling off.  It just makes sense. 
Message 21 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Valleyfever,

I'd love it if you'd share your experience once the BK falls off, and you've checked your scores.  Keep us posted! 
Message 22 of 105
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Valley, please don't close the cards, unless they are just bad cards to have (ie. AFs, MFs, etc). Just don't let half or more of your cards to reflect a balance and keep overall and individual uti b/w 1-9% and you will see a nice score bump now.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look up the Fair Credit Reporting Act on google or another search engine. It says exactly how long it is for a Ch. 13, can't remember myself if its 10 or 7.
Message 24 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would think that what happens to your score when you are "rebucketed" would depend on your credit history both before and after the BK.  If you had strong history before and rebuilt after, then the elimination of the BK and all the accounts that went with it would almost HAVE to increase your score.  It would be as if those accounts never existed...
Message 25 of 105
Guardian
Valued Contributor

I am new to posting in the forums so I don't want to step on any toes but the sentiment of "people in the back row" is very condescending and helps no one. The fact is that there is no hard set rule about if it goes up or down. The fact is that the length of your oldest credit notation makes a difference and how many accounts you have in good standing and what your debt ratio is.

So for someone like myself, when I got my bankruptcy off my credit report (in 4 years) my score went from 662 to 725 but that is not to say that it will do that for everyone. I also have a 17+ year history on my report and I have no other negative items against me. The only reason it didn't go higher was that I have student loans in deferment that mess with my ratio. But 725 is nothing to sneeze at and I will take that for now over being turned down simply because my bankruptcy would show up. Even if it doesn't count against you in the score after 2 years, companies are likely to consider it just the same.

Try a few simple things to your best ability and you should be fine. 1) try as quickly as possible to rebuild your credit, 2) do not close good standing accounts, especially the longer you have had them the more they will help you, 3) don't make the mistake of using cash only as no activity will hurt you more, 4) try to get as many of the negative notations off your report as soon as possible, 5) don't use consolidation services and if you use services to remove your negative stuff be careful as they are not all the same, with a little patience you can do it yourself, 6) don't request too many credits in a short time, they will hurt you bad, especially if you are declined and even if you are not, finally) pay down as much as you can as fast as you can and keep your balances low, it takes more than 30 days for them to report your lower balance to the credit agencies and this means you ratio will continue to show high.

good luck everyone.

Message Edited by Guardian on 04-23-2008 03:03 PM

Message Edited by Guardian on 04-23-2008 03:08 PM

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 26 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi just thought Id chime in. I filed BK in 1999 and it still shows on my credit reports. I was under the impression it was to fall off after 7yrs but here I am 9 yrs later and its still there =(. So one more year to go for me.
Message 27 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

It takes 10 years for a bankruptcy to come off your credit report, not 7. If you have been building your credit and your score is good, the score goes up after the bk is removed from your report. Mine increased dramatically the month after the bk was removed. Not sure where this other info is coming from, but this is what happened to me. Score went from 732 to 797 and now four months later is at 813.
Message 28 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

My BK just went my record after 10 years and my FICO jumped 80 points.
Message 29 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

just keep ur balances down especially on the cc like 20-30 % of the credit limit
and u see a huge increase
Message 30 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.